Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kapoho Kipuka?
Didn't the lava flow spare a few homes on the North side of Kapoho?

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
A map of the destroyed homes is located here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ZWnrwPSqtoOpdjj5QKaBZPQACQOzv5YD&ll=19.48431293606167%2C-154.86513787306518&z=14
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
yes, there is a little island of about 5 homes that were not damaged but no way to get to them without a very difficult hike across the lava..
Are you referring to the Kipuka on Kahukai st in Leilani Estates?
There are 5 partial properties left, 3 with homes still standing. We need Lighthouse Rd opened, it's only 700' of roadway that needs dozed. We are waiting on FEMA approval which includes Pohoiki Rd and the finish work on 137 by McKenzie Park. FEMA has told us the earliest the package could be approved would be the end of the year. We offered to find the funding ourselves but we're told we would jeopardize the entire package. We have a home to go back to, it is torture not being able to go home.
Lots more questions than answers. So if there is a Kipuka with 3 isolated but standing homes near light house rd. And one Kipuka on Kahukai st. in Leilani estates with 6 isolated but standing homes then are there more? How many homes are still isolated but would be usable otherwise? How many people are affected and now homeless?
Also what all is included in this FEMA package and who is the contact person who has made the decisions that these people who are now homeless should remain homeless and should not even consider the possibility of being able to go home till after the first of the year?
https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2019/09/...this-week/

Hawaii Island residents are invited to attend SpeakOut events Friday and Saturday to help guide the 2018 Kilauea eruption recovery efforts.

This event focuses on Phase III of Kilauea eruption recovery: identifying strategies and actions. The Hawaii County recovery team will provide a report back about ongoing engagement efforts and interactive activities related to recovery strategies and decision making.

Onrway - there are several other isolated kipukas off Pohoiki, as well. Some people were lucky enough to have a kind neighbor give a temporary easement until the actual road gets reestablished. For those of us not that lucky, it has been frustrating to say the least. I don't have an actual number of remaining isolated homes, but it's at least close to 20 that I am aware of.

The FEMA package request is for funds that don't necessarily have to be spent on the actual replacement of what was damaged. We need to keep our voices heard to keep the money in Puna. The people to contact are Diane Ley, County Research & Development Director. David Yamamoto, Director and Allan Simeon, Deputy Director, Dept of Public Works. Mayor Kim and Deputy Mayor Wil Okabe.

Diane.Ley@hawaiicounty.gov
David.Yamamoto@hawaiicounty.gov
Allan.Simeon@hawaiicounty.gov
Harry.Kim@hawaiicounty.gov
Wil.Okabe@hawaiicounty.gov

Our County Council stands behind us and is working to get us all home. But it wouldn't hurt to email them as well. Same format, their names @hawaiicounty.gov.

Show up at the next Recovery Speak Out on Oct. 5th, 9am-3pm at the Pahoa High School cafeteria. You can drop in anytime.
DJS: Thanks for the reply, We also are among the unlucky ones. On May 3, 2018 we had to evacuate our home. Eventually my mother who has COPD had to be further evacuated to Ca. because of air quality. Our home still stands and would be habitable if we could get to it. We in our Kipuka group would be content with a 4x4 road just to get us home. All of the county officials like Diane Ley know our names and our story. As I am sure they do everyone else in similar situation. Bottom line is they know the problems but they need to have one more meeting or survey to ask the same questions over and over again. They are asking the same questions that were being asked the day I filled out the FEMA survey when FEMA finally got feet on the ground in P#257;hoa. If all the bureaucracy were not enough, some A—-H—- who still have their homes are advocating and lobbing against our rights to have a road and our ability to return home because they want to use designated road monies for speed bumps and gates to fight tourism in the subdivision.
they need to have one more meeting or survey to ask the same questions over and over

There will be surveys and meetings until the recovery funds have been spent on Kona projects.

advocating and lobbing against our rights to have a road and our ability to return home

I call this the "I got mine, screw you" principle. It's very common here.