Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiians free on probation for hate-crime assault
Poor guy had just moved in and started working on his home when some Hawaiians showed up and told him he couldn't live in that neighborhood and had to move immediately, then hit him in the back of the head with a shovel and beat him:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/10/18...probation/

Same attacker went on to randomly assault a 53 year old at a local bar a few months later, and had a prior criminal record. But when he went before the judge for terroristic threatening, assault with a deadly weapon, and battery, he said "he's a changed man now", and received probation from the judge.

The prosecutors refused to charge them with a hate crime, and did not answer requests for comment.
rosecutors refused to charge them with a hate crime

Make a Federal case, then.

Kunzelman has since moved back to Arizona.

Or, just give up and go back where you came from. Take your money with you.
Unfortunate thing. Cases like this were common in the 1970s and before. Hawaii's justice system has improved--generally.
Hawaii's justice system has improved

"Hawaii" is generally synonymous with "Oahu", in which case this statement is accurate.
The deep south of the mainland has improved too, but that's cold comfort for the people who still get assaulted today. These racist thugs are no different than the Ku Klux Klan. But with a government that doesn't punish their behavior and perpetuates separation of races with programs like DHHL, what else should we expect?
Justice just depends on who the victim is. This guy will not see the light of day for a long time. "Puna Man indicted for alleged invasion of home owned by cop. The six-count indictment returned Oct. 9 charges Francis Kalei Laimana with first-degree burglary, first-degree terroristic threatening, third-degree assault, fourth-degree sexual assault and two counts of fourth-degree property damage. The most severe charge, first-degree burglary, is a Class A felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison upon conviction. First-degree terroristic threatening is a Class C felony punishable by up to five years incarceration. Article includes picture of severely beaten Laimana."

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...TniLPcMiDE
There's a updated story and interview with the man who was beat unconscious on Maui 5 years ago. It includes the address of the property - 7478 Kahekili Highway. A quick Google search brings up quite a lot of information, photos, and map location. For instance, there are two churches within a few hundred feet of the home, The Kahakuloa Hawaiian Church, and The Kahakuloa Congregational Hawaiian Church. Presuming no parishioners were ever beat with a shovel on church grounds this may partially answer the question posed occasionally on Punaweb, are there boundaries on what is and is not sacred land in Hawaii?

Conversation with the Welcome Wagon:
“Who the (explicit) gave you the right to come around here?” Alo-Kaonohi and Aki Jr. tell Kunzelman to pack his stuff and leave. When he starts doing so, he said Alo-Kaonohi started punching him in the face.

Aki Jr. then brought him a shovel and Alo-Kaonohi hit Kunzelman’s head with the shovel. While he was packing upstairs, the uncle remained downstairs with Aki Jr. Kunzelman said Alo-Kaonohi would come upstairs and keep beating him up.

Aki Jr. looks at Kunzelman’s uncle and says, “You guys don’t belong here,” and continues to tell them to leave. “Or else you guys are going to go missing I swear to God,”

https://www.khon2.com/top-stories/man-at...te-crimes/

Also, this from a real estate listing:
Limited Service Listing. Sold As-Is... Home needs TLC to bring back to original glory. Please use caution when viewing. Buyer and buyer\'s agent to do own due dilligence as to condition, permits, inspections. Property offered \"As-Is\".
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
are there boundaries on what is and is not sacred land in Hawaii?

(how much money) x (who is spending it)
I've dealt with a home invasion. I didn't shoot because of three reasons. 1. He was alone. 2.He was unarmed. 3. He didn't attack me. If this guy that got pummeled on Maui would have been me, I would have shot one or both of them.You come onto my property and start threatening me, and there are more than one of you, and you then attack me, you're going to have a life changing day. Attack me with a shovel? It's then escalated to life threatening. The guy that got beat to hell had a gun. And, yes, I know about how backwards Hawaii laws are about defending yourself and family. And, no, I'm not a gun nut and don't belong to the NRA, and I'm for banning guns designed for warfare. But, an attack with a shovel is life threatening. I'd have shot to stop this attacker period. If the second tresspasser attacked me, I'd have shot him too.
And the way the Hawaii justice system handled this case is bad joke.Seems our laws won't protect us, so we are on our own.
I've been through a smash through the door home invasion where I had to make my plans instantly. In Washington State, noone would have prosecuted me if I'd have fired. If something like this happens to you, then you must make some tough choices fast. Until you've been through it, you can't really understand. In the case of this man, where two thugs attacked him on his property, I'd have fired.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
In this situation ...it's better to shot to kill. Don't worry about the consequences.... especially in this state. They'll be dead... and the most that you'll get is what they got....probation.