Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pohoiki Boat Ramp
What a Joke! The State/Big Island has $$$$$$ to BURN!!!

Taken from the link...“The question is, does the finance committee find it cost-effective to spend $8-$9 million for a temporary ramp, at the same time have a $26 million permanent ramp also being constructed?"

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...g-channel/
does the finance committee find it cost-effective

Wrong question -- State and County have no problem burning money.

Where is the public demanding that our money be spent effectively? That same $8-9M would make for some great "temporary" roads to allow lava recovery; it would also build a "temporary" road for access to the Mauna Kea summit.

Meanwhile the poor boaters have the option of using a different boat ramp -- sure, they're scarce, but alternatives exist, unlike access to Leilani or Mauna Kea.
spend $8-$9 million for a temporary ramp, at the same time have a $26 million permanent ramp

If the County takes a go-slow plan on road construction in LZ1 linking property owners with their existing homes, then why build two new boat ramps? That seems rather duplicitous, two different strategies which may face the same potential crisis, possible future lava flows.

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
U see whats up if u read it. 1.5 yrs after flow, no ramp. Timeline to make do at least 2-3 yrs. For new ramp. 5-7 yrs maybe 7 -10, or 20.

If we make the long ramge one , it may never come in our lifetime.

Unfortunately fisherman must launch hilo ,and beat back ito the trade winds to come home.
Aloha

HPP

HPP
fisherman must launch hilo ,and beat back ito the trade winds to come home

People in Leilani and Kapoho can't go home.
What do the unions want?
Put DHHL in charge of the boat ramp. They should be able to get one boater in the water by 2060.
one boater in the water by 2060

They won't even have to do that: there won't be any boaters of sufficient Hawaiian blood quanta.
there won't be any boaters of sufficient Hawaiian blood quanta.

Or fish in the warming seas.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The amount of ahi that used to come into pohoiki was over 70% of the big islands total. Over 50% of the boats that used to go out of pohoiki are not big enough to brave the waters that far south,after launching hilo.

Just not safe in strong trade winds.

HPP

HPP