Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OHA investigation finds $7.8M in possible fraud
Link posted in one of the TMT threads, but reposted here for specific discussion of OHA corruption.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...ble-fraud/

TLDR: everything we already knew about OHA fraud and corruption just keeps being supported by new information.

These are our taxpayer dollars at work.
Finally! Conclusive proof that TMT is the root cause of all these problems!

The public agency is tasked with improving the well-being of Native Hawaiian citizens through community advocacy and assistance, including home and business loans and scholarships.

The review documented shoddy record keeping, inadequate oversight, unlawful procedures, missing documents, conflicts of interest, and contractors failing to perform work, officials said.

improving the well-being of Native Hawaiian citizens through ... assistance

OHA has programs which provide grants and loans for Native Hawaiian applicants. Many become successful businesses, or supplement budgets for community resources. Others, some of which I'm familiar with, were doomed from the start and it's difficult to imagine how the projects were ever approved.

Honolulu Magazine has an article this month about the rescue of nearly lost Hawaiian cultural practices, such as rock sledding and puppets.
http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu...hem-Alive/

The people involved in these activities (as far as I can tell) provided their own resources from their early curiosity in the tradition through dedicated research and finally the successful reemergence of a lost art.

What does OHA bring us? The good, the bad, and the ugly tent city on Saddle Road. They provide public funds for illegal and unpermitted tents and port-a-potties, no extensive grant application required, that also requires extensive taxpayer emergency spending by the County and State on a public highway. It's lose-lose. Add with it the uncertainty in construction of the TMT and it's lose-lose-lose. That's part of the overall dysfunction of OHA.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This was only the tip of the iceberg this was only a partial audit

jrw
jrw
Yeah, good point jrw - this audit only looked at the 2012-2016 period