Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mandatory quarantine for all travelers to Hawaii
Ige announces mandatory quarantine for all travelers to Hawaii

Gov. David Ige today announced that beginning Thursday, all people traveling to Hawaii will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

For Hawaii residents, the mandatory quarantine — which starts 12:01 a.m. Thursday — will occur in their place of residence. For tourists and other nonresidents, the quarantine will be in their destination lodging.

The quarantine is in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic. Hawaii had 48 confirmed virus cases as of Saturday. Three of those cases are on the Big Island.

Failure to follow the governor’s order is a misdemeanor and could result in fines up to $5,000. His order will be enforced by the counties, he said.

Ige said each traveler will be responsible for the cost of the 14-day quarantine.

The quarantine does not apply to flight crews or pilots, he said.

He also said there might be exceptions for medical workers coming to Hawaii.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
How do they propose to enforce something like this?
Guam has been doing this already, I wonder how well it works.
I have a friend on Guam and he brought this up. Most Guam visitors stay less than 14 days. He said "The quarantine is bullsh!t".

ETA: trying to defeat censor software
South Korea targeted areas/homes with every positive result (and they tested widely), quarantining etc. We can’t see that kind of response w the moribund leadership that exists. Doomed might be a strong word but?????
They could be tracked like a prisoner or by cell phone but probably not. How are they to get food, especially if hotel doesn't have a kitchen?
It would be interesting to follow percent compliance with a social pressure honor system. I think most people would cheat to a lesser or greater degree.

India is using hand stamps for self-quarantine, seems like a good idea.
I think the idea was to get them to not come here at all, and that's fine with me. The decree does not become effective until next Thursday, and Ige said that was to give people a chance to change, i.e. cancel, their travel arrangements. Should have been done a week or two ago.
Visitors booked because flights were cheap. Hawaii Island gets a paragraph in the story at the link:

“Tourists are still coming in,” said Julie Ohashi, 36, a Maui resident, in a telephone interview on Friday. She founded the Facebook group Maui Covid-19 Facts about a month ago, and has been protesting at the island’s airport with signs urging visitors to go home.

In the days preceding the announcement of the quarantine, the governor had requested that people postpone their visits, “but these aren’t people who will respond to a request,” Ms. Ohashi said...

“Airline tickets are cheap. It’s exactly why we booked just a week ago. See you soon …”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/trave...flict.html

Maui COVID19 Facts (Public Facebook Page)
https://m.facebook.com/groups/217946922710928

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
His order will be enforced by the counties, he said.

Zing - who said there isn't comedy in the face of tragedy? Tell us another one Ige on Thursday - should be 100+ setup lines by then.
It’s part of his Economic suicide program. And to late to do stop the bug from getting here