Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
land-use regulations during a pandemic
County and State say "everyone work from home".

Land-use regulations say that a "home office" is either a "home occupation" (for R zoning) or a "special use" (for Ag zoning). Are we simply not enforcing those rules during the pandemic? What about after the emergency declaration expires, when some people have determined that they can work from home and their job makes it permanent?

Maybe fines from enforcement can balance the budget?
lol - revenue is revenue (see potential fines for free hand sanitizer) and it's said beggars can't be choosers (even when they're not the evil homeless).

Any chance you have a link to the regulations? My googlefu failed me (you think those are good search terms you're using? hmmm... Stop trying to find hits and hit me!)
Maybe fines from enforcement can balance the budget?

No fines are necessary. The county could mail out a questionnaire, researching how the stay-at-home order affected citizens. Then, if you check [ X ] Worked From Home, they’ll tax your property Commercial and bill you accordingly.

(They once tried to do this when I mistakenly told them I used one room in my home as an office. I was told “if you use one square foot of your property for business, the entire parcel is taxed commercial.” Later, after many phone calls, I discovered my friendly county real estate tax office employee was misinformed.)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Home occupation" means any activity intended to provide income that is carried on within a dwelling, within an accessory structure to a dwelling, or on a portion of a building site used principally for dwelling purposes.

Section 25-4-13. Home occupations.
(a) A home occupation shall be permitted as incidental and subordinate to the use of a dwelling in any district in which a dwelling is located, provided that the home occupation does not change the character and external appearance of the dwelling.

(d) A special permit shall be obtained for any home occupation on a building site that is situated within either the State land use rural or agricultural district.

Surprised to discover that only "certain activities" require "a declaration filed with the director" but no explicit permitting for occupations of R-zoned property.

Ag/rural, though, require SUP. How many "illegal" businesses in Puna? Best we shut all that down and get those people on welfare.
If there is any worried about zoning BS after this they need to be voted off the Island
kalakoa - Home occupation" means any activity intended to provide income that is carried on within a dwelling...

Thanks! (Mikey, I thinks he likes it.. Want some more? Hell yeah)
HOME OCCUPATION DECLARATION AND ZONING CLEARANCE

"Chapter 25 (Zoning Code) allows a HOME OCCUPATION as incidental and subordinate to the use of a dwelling situated ONLY within the State Land Use URBAN District and within any County of Hawai‘i zoning district in which a single family dwelling is permitted, as stated in Section 25-4-13 (emphases added):" [details...]

So our ag-lot Zions are safe? No sentinels from the tax machinery world going to swoop down and extract their toll?
Right there on the form: 25-4-13(d) "special permit required for rural or ag".

Not that it matters, "they" get to decide what 25-4-13 means.
Right there on the form:

Ah yes, I missed that. I will not be taking the stone from your hand Master Ko and will return to doing long division on my abacus...

(I for one welcome our new tax overlords and would like to remind them that I can be helpful in assessing how much others owe. (0.88 is always the answer, don't ask how or why))
When my wife started her business at home drafting l called the county to inquire if she was running a home business. Did she have a sign advertising her business? No. Did she have parking set aside for customers? No. There were no customers coming to the home. Then she did not have a home business, she was just working at home said the person who answered the phone who could have been walking by and heard the phone ring.