Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State flag upside down?
I saw a few state flags upside down. What does that mean?
There are separate meanings.

Was it the original Flag

Or the Modern One

The upside-down flag of Hawaii, which was the flag of the Kingdom as well as the State, symbolizes a "nation in distress" and is a common sight in the islands today..."

-------
Moved
This is the first I've heard of a flag controversy. My understanding was that Kamehameha himself designed the 'traditional' one, hoping that the Union Jack in the corner would give some protection from powers other than Britain.

I can't claim to know anything about it, just something I read a very long time ago.
A flag flown upside down is a symbol of distress and (in this case)intended as a form of protest.

Some would argue that it's a misused tactic, as it's literal meaning is "Please help, we're in extreme distress, and can't help ourselves".
I believe it has something to do with Hawaiian sovernty.
anyone familiar with the, "westboro baptist church"? if you click on this link: http://westborobaptistchurch.com you will notice in the address, an icon of the american/usa flag upside down.

jade, where did you see the flags?

malia paha o lohe aku

perhaps they will hear
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james