Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rate, Report Users?
I "don't have permission" to rate a user, and the "Report" button does nothing.
I do see negative ratings so I guess some people have permission...
I was trying to alert Rob's attention to the latest "member", Harlodsnins.
Rob?
Until Rob deletes the spammer you can put them on your "ignore" list. You'll still see that they posted, but it's easier to skip past it.

Most forums have a handful of moderators- people that visit the forum frequently and while they have no administrative privileges, have the authority to boot the spam out.

The spam we're seeing is a form of search engine optimization (SEO) manipulation. One of the ways the search engine ranks web sites is by using an algorithm that takes many things into account one of them being how many other web pages link to it. The bots aren't posting here expecting that we are going to click on the links and buy their products, they are hoping that when google, bing, etc index the posts here it will see the links to the other web pages and the algorithm will increase their SEO rank. That's why they are including so many key words in the post. People pay money to companies who promise to increase their SEO rank not knowing this is one of the methods they use to increase their rank.
Thanks for the tip. The ignore feature is great.
I am kind of learning the ropes on this new system too. There is a way for me to "purge" a user but I don't always find it when I need it.... so I have to tediously delete posts and ban the spammer.

Still learning.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Within the myBB configuration should be an option to moderate a new user's first posts. It may take less time to look at a new user's first posts than to go through the process of removing them, but if their first post is spam you just delete the post and purge the account instead of approving the post. Once you approve a post the user no longer needs to be moderated.

The spam bots will eventually figure this out and the first few posts won't be spam but they will be generic and you'll learn to spot them. Usually they are replies to somebody else's post with generic phrases of encouragement etc.
I was just looking for a way to "flag" them.

LOVE the new forum Rob!

I like the way it shows you what subjects have new content since your last visit.

It's great to be able to jump right to the latest post you haven't read.

Nice layout too. Modern but with the same "feel" as the old one.
Rainbow 
(07-11-2020, 08:39 PM)Rob Tucker Wrote: I am kind of learning the ropes on this new system too.  There is a way for me to "purge" a user but I don't always find it when I need it.... so I have to tediously delete posts and ban the spammer.

Still learning.
To ban them, just click on their name to get to their profile and hit the following link indicated by the green arrow. ;p

[Image: 20200711-154211.jpg]
I appreciate the pointers. Banning isn't difficult. Banning doesn't remove the offending posts.I have also learned that when I ban I have to select the term.... 1 day, a week, or permanent. Lots of bells a whistles.

Purging is easiest and I have done it a few times but the purge link isn't always where I think it will be when I need it. Purging removes the offending members and all posts in one fell swoop.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I hear ya Rob, there's alot of stuff jammed into this program. 
Heck this AM I had to increase the number of registrations that could occur under one IP in 24 hours because most everyone here is using the same backhaul internet provider. 
A serious PITA.

I just disabled reputation thinking it best for trading and sales forums, etc. 

[Image: 20200711-155111.jpg]
(07-11-2020, 08:39 PM)Rob Tucker Wrote: I am kind of learning the ropes on this new system too. There is a way for me to "purge" a user but I don't always find it when I need it.... so I have to tediously delete posts and ban the spammer.

Still learning.

I purged spammers under my moderator control panel.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!