Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
https://bigislandnow.com/2020/07/30/board-of-education-approves-postponement-of-2020-
Why do schools in all Hawaii have to stay shut down we have not had a  case in over a week only one case  active on the island. One island no case ever another only 2 cases since the start another with less then 50 cases
hankie1's post certainly demonstrates why education is important and we need to figure out a safe way to educate our children during the pandemic. I don't know what the answer is. The numbers for COVID-19 infections on the Big Island certainly look good right now but I have no idea who or how many people are being tested here. Personally, I'm assuming there are several cases on the island that no-one knows about, so we should remain cautious.
Schools provide the perfect environment for exponential viral spread, and our islands don't have enough doctors and ICU capacity to deal with a surge like Oahu is experiencing. Many of our teachers and healthcare providers here are older and vulnerable to the virus, so it would also be unethical to force them to risk their lives every day. This would be a great time for kids to help dad cook and garden, help mom work on the car or build a shed, etc. A lot of math and reasoning to be learned in everyday tasks, not to mention communication and bonding. A cheap <$90 android tablet would also allow keiki access to many free educational apps and games to keep them busy.
Can we at least furlough the HSTA for that two weeks? State keeps complaining that they're broke...
(07-31-2020, 06:46 PM)kalakoa Wrote: Can we at least furlough the HSTA for that two weeks? State keeps complaining that they're broke...

The teacher I know says they were told that they would still be required to report to work during the delay.  Of course this is a bit anecdotal and may vary between schools and roles.
Keaau High school was packed with cars today. I guess the teachers are back in school. I'm not sure why because they will probably delay the opening again in two weeks or go to total distance learning again out of fear of whats happening on Oahu.
The decision should be left to individual districts rather than statewide. Doctors at the national level who have been discussing the issue of what to do with schools in the media such as Fauci, Gottlieb and Brix are all in favor of opening them up-with certain precautions-in areas that don't have out of control virus spread. Big Island is doing better than anywhere else in the country for Chrissakes. Open schools! The biggest risk for teachers would probably be a conglomeration of adults in one room. No more indoor staff meetings, boohoo.
(07-31-2020, 03:27 PM)randomq Wrote: Schools provide the perfect environment for exponential viral spread, and our islands don't have enough doctors and ICU capacity to deal with a surge like Oahu is experiencing. Many of our teachers and healthcare providers here are older and vulnerable to the virus, so it would also be unethical to force them to risk their lives every day. This would be a great time for kids to help dad cook and garden, help mom work on the car or build a shed, etc. A lot of math and reasoning to be learned in everyday tasks, not to mention communication and bonding. A cheap <$90 android tablet would also allow keiki access to many free educational apps and games to keep them busy.
So we are suppose to keep the kids out of school for  ever layoff all the teachers close the schools and layoff all the parents so the can stay home and teacher them to garden and work on the car that is really preparing the kids for life. We are  the  safes place in the USA and this stuff not going away we have to opening up the schools.
There will likely be medications and vaccines within a year. Is saving lives worth the wait and economic cost? I think so. We print money all the time for big business, bankers, and bums. Let's print some for working folks and ride this out.
When my daughter went to Keaau High School she described it as a day care where all the funding went to "managing the angry kids". They tried to put her in "basic math" even though her previous course from a different state was Algebra. She refused so they let her watch a Maui calculus class on Skype. The next year she TAUGHT "basic math" in a mentoring program. The skype class was a bust because it was just like watching a poor quality video recording of a high school classroom. She learned calculus by watching youtube videos.

They graduated her a year early, but even with that they literally ran out of any content for her in her Jr. year. They allowed her to take courses at the community college (at our expense of course) instead of wasting her time in "day care". She also completed a CNA certification course because she didn't want to work a lame job while she was in college, but she would have to wait a year before getting her state license due to the age 18 requirement. She was one of the KHS valedictorians, but most of what she learned during those years was from outside the school.

Of course, this is just one family's experience, but she literally learned more from watching youtube than she did in a Hawaii high school. At least she got to go to the only day care facility in the state with air conditioning at the time. I think the only thing she actually learned there was in her Spanish class. The social interaction was probably worthwhile, and she got to play soccer.