Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Potential asteroid impact
Please don't be concerned about any news reports you see about a potential asteroid impact just before election day. I've seen a lot of nonsense being reported in the media, but please don't worry. One of the things I've seen on a couple of news sites is that the incoming asteroid has three potential impacts. I have no idea what that means, it's nonsense.

The asteroid is small, about six feet across. Even if it's made of solid iron, it will break up in the atmosphere. A few bits of it might make it to the surface, but it is nothing to worry about. Impacts like this happen every two or three years with no problems other than a light show and this one will likely miss us.

Don't panic, but if you are really worried, carry a towel.
Can't compare to lava bombs...
Back in 2018 you would have been much more likely to die from a lava bomb. On the other hand, the eruption is over so we're left with the asteroid impact. However, you're still more likely to die from a lava bomb than the asteroid.
TomK: ' carry a towel ' .

I just happen to be re-reading "Hitchhiker's Guide"  ( lots of quarantine time ), and this made me smile in these strange times - thanks !
Hawaii is a critical component in NASAs asteroid tracking system.

Major NEO survey projects in the NEO Observations Program include:
https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/neoo

Good to know for the next time someone lobs an observatory grenade into a Facebook screed as the biggest problem we have here in Hawaii.  You worried about the water table on Mauna Kea?  A medium size asteroid can solve that problem for you pretty darn fast.  Without warning if we’re without observatories.
So this campaign actually has a chance?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...L1150_.jpg
The moment has been lost, but SBH's post made me laugh out loud for the longest time I can remember in the last few months. Thank you!
Some of us are not hoping the asteroid will be more impressive than predicted and won’t miss.
Remember when we were making fun of 2018? We had the eruption, earthquakes, the false missile threat, hurricanes dodging us, etc etc and we kinda laughed it off as, "it can't get any worse than this!"

2018: "Watch me mess with these folks."

2020: "Hold my beer."

Not sure what 2019 was... maybe like a "sorbet" to cleanse the palate ?
No one said the end times would be boring...