Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PIGS
Aloha, I am one of the volunteers that feed the cat's at the Keaau transfer station. Most if not all of them are ones that were dropped off there by their owners. There is a mother pig and 4 of her offspring that live there too and make it difficult to feed the cats. They are getting big now and probably are no longer nursing. I feed them rice but they still want the cat food. I can shoo them away but pretty soon they will be big and aggressive. Does anyone want to  trap them? It would be greatly appreciated.
Sure, I'll trap the cats. Do I take them to the humane society or how would you like me to dispose of them?
Not sure, is this sick humor? Actually, there are several people involved in trapping them and finding homes for them , as well as spay/neuter. The Human Society does not have the capacity to handle so many. Cat's serve a purpose, I have 3 and they do keep us rat free.
Feral cats have helped bring Hawaii's native birds to the brink of extinction and have a negative effect on the natural environment in a number of other ways.  Feeding them is a deeply misguided practice that appears to be kind, but is actually destructive, even to the cats themselves.  By feeding them, one simply increases the problem.  The Hawaii Invasive Species Council says very clearly. "Do not feed feral cats."  Read about it here or Google "Hawaii feral cats" if you don't trust my source:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasi...20wildlife.
Lately, I’ve seen several dead cats along the road in that area. Feeding the cats just creates more problems, especially for the cats!
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(08-30-2020, 03:58 AM)ChunksterK Wrote: Feral cats have helped bring Hawaii's native birds to the brink of extinction and have a negative effect on the natural environment in a number of other ways.  Feeding them is a deeply misguided practice that appears to be kind, but is actually destructive, even to the cats themselves.  By feeding them, one simply increases the problem.  The Hawaii Invasive Species Council says very clearly. "Do not feed feral cats."  Read about it here or Google "Hawaii feral cats" if you don't trust my source:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasi...20wildlife.

They are killing endangered monk seals too:  https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/feature-s...s-and-left
I appreciate what you are saying, however, these are not feral. Last week I was at the transfer station feeding the cats when a young man drove up and parked behind me. He got out, opened his trunk and took out a calico kitten and threw it on the ground, got in his car and drove off. There is a "web" of life and it included all living creatures to maintain a balance.
Next time get the license plate and report to police. It's illegal to abandon an animal. And abandoning one right next to the humane society leaves one with no excuse.

I used to be an animal cruelty and neglect investigator in another state. One time somebody brought in a cat that was found 40 miles outside of town. It had a microchip and I was able to reunite it with it's owner. Knowing it was unlikely that the cat strayed 40 miles on it's own I assumed somebody dumped it out there. We used to loan out cat traps so I looked through the cat trap file and sure enough, the cat owner's next door neighbor had borrowed a trap the same time the owner reported the cat missing. The humane society was on the way to where he dumped the cat so he had to drive past it to dump the cat. So I went to his house and asked him why he dumped the cat out the road. He explained that he didn't know what else to do with it. I was glad that he didn't deny it, and I charged him with misdemeanor animal abandonment.

I understand the web of life, and the cat is a super predator. They are one of the few species other than humans that kill just for "the fun" of it. Feeding them only encourages that behavior. If you insist on feeding wild cats you may want to consider asking a vet for some megestrol acetate and learn how to properly mix it and prevent non-target species from ingesting it. It will prevent the females from going into heat and ovulating until you can trap and spay them.
I used to be an animal cruelty and neglect investigator...

That's a good story terracore.  You put in more effort than some police detectives on cases involving human beings who shall go unnamed in unspecified localities (I'm trying to avoid drinking game trigger words on a Sunday morning.)  If you got together with Father Jack you might have yourself a first rate British detective-vicar tv series in the making.  Perhaps an episode where the good citizens of Upton Punabury discover there are many different strategies when addressing their feral cat and hedgehog dilemma.
Don't feed the cats!!!!!!!!! It does not help them. Feeding them makes more cats and then they eat endemic wildlife or each other when there is not enough food. You are making the problem worse by feeding the cats and now you are feeding the pigs too.