Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walmart same day delivery
Has anybody tried the Walmart same-day delivery?  

I just placed our first order- mostly groceries but also some livestock feed.  They claim it will be here in 2 hours or less.  

If this works I'll probably never go in there again.

It looks like they will deliver anything in the store that is on their web site up to $500 except for beer/wine etc.

Fees are $7 per delivery or $98/year for free unlimited deliveries.  Minimum delivery $35.  I was not able to schedule a time- was only able to choose "express" delivery (2 hours or less) for $10.00.
Update. We got our order. It took only 1 hour from when we placed it!

We gambled on the "let them make substitution if item isn't available" feature and it's different than the way Shipt works. Both of the substitutions were for items that cost more (for example, the 24 ounce bacon instead of the 16 ounce bacon) but they only charged us the price of the original item, not the higher substituted price.

It seems the way it works is that Walmart employees prepared the order and a Door Dash driver brought it here. Door Dash doesn't deliver to our address but apparently they do if it's a Walmart order.

So yeah.... hopefully this means I'll never have to step foot in there again.
"except for beer/wine etc."

That wasn't a deal-breaker?
Terracore, you said you had two substitutions. Were there other items which were out of stock that they had no substitute for? How many items total in the order? In other words, what was the fill ratio relative to what you saw as available on their website. Thanks.
We had 11 different items (many were multiples so more than 11 things in cart). 3 items out of stock. 2 substitutions made, 1 item no substitution was available.

I'd have to go through the order process again, but I think in the checkout process one can select the items they are willing to take a substitution on. I'm weary on the substitution matrix. Like I got 4 bags of layer pellets. If they didn't have them layer crumbles would be okay, but scratch grains would not. Oh well, it's a new service so I'm sure there will be improvements.

I'm pretty sure that if they are only using door dash drivers, that only "express" delivery will be available. Doing the math on delivery times / hours / etc that would probably mean one can't place an order after 6pm.
Thanks for the additional information, terracore. It sounds like it's well worth the cost, and I think I'll give it a try the next time I need a load of stuff from Walmart.
Sign up for the 15-day free trial and the $7.00 delivery fee is waived. It appears it can be easily cancelled online.

At $98/year the 'unlimited free' delivery break-even point is 14. So if you're only getting an order about once a month its cheaper to pay the $7.00 delivery fee each time. Then on top of that there is the $10 'express' fee, but that may go away as they add drivers. I don't need my Walmart stuff within 2 hours. AND on top of that there is the gratuity. But of course you have to weigh it against the cost savings of Walmart. For example we needed a small bag of medicated chick feed ($5.00) I forgot to get on my last Walmart Zombie trip, which I otherwise would have got at True Value ($11ish) rather than going back to WM for it. That one product right there is almost enough to pay the delivery fee. Then there is the 30 mile round trip if I wasn't bundling the visit with other needs in town (I don't know, like $5 for gas and wear and tear on vehicle). But it saves me the most valuable of all, my TIME and also risk of exposure.

So yes, it is expensive, but after our test order future ones will be huge so we don't have to do it often.

Another option is that you can order all your stuff online, they shop it, and you pick it up "curbside" whatever that means. I think it's free. Has anybody done that ?
I tend to buy very few perishables and to heavily stock up on my relatively rare Walmart shopping forays, so I will probably opt for the pay as you go option. The cost savings on the items I buy from Walmart will more than make up for the individual delivery costs. Many thanks to terracore for the detailed explanation of the process and options!
Awesome service!!
Jon in Keaau/HPP
How do you get to the Walmart app to order delivery. Whenever I go to the App, it just says they’re having trouble with their server, or it wants to put me on their waitlist.  I was able to get on one of the sites, but there were so many different items there whenever I’d try to scroll thru, it wanted to crash. It feels like a lesson in futility!