Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AG & Energy Park Proposed for Kau
An interesting proposal for Kau in todays paper involves and energy park (solar & geothermal) and an Ag Park. Seems quite progressive and timely. Does it have the mojo to get off the ground?

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal03.txt
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The Kau people won't like this, but this guy is an old boy!
Gordon J Tilley
Gtill, you sure do like your exclaimation marks. On what do you base your statement on what the residents of Kau might, or might not, like?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I mentioned the Kau dessert for solar collection quite a while back. After passing thru Volcano and before getting to the Kona Coast, that area would be an ideal Solar Array arrays. Put the array on rail tracks for easy removal in case of lava flow, or put the array on large towers that actually follow the sun as it travels. In case of lava flow, use helicopters to remove the arrays from the large towers!

We have been watching Pacific Gas and Electric helicopters laying high voltage lines in the valley floor here. Wow what they can do with 4 men on a tower working in conjunction with the helicopters is simply amazing.

Thankfully people are getting serious about solar.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Just speculation I suppose. Would you say the tendency has been towards any profitable industry?

I hope I'm wrong but have you had a Kau Gold orange lately?

Until the latest spike in gas prices, what has the attitude here been toward geothermal, everyone kowtows to HELCO, and the new company will surely use the same fuel price guideline to start the project, which won't benefit anyone except the investors.

If it was in Kau, Helco still couldn't supply the island because of their outmoded delivery system! Would a garbage dump be much better than a prison or rocket launch facility (both rejected?) Plus a recent subdivision.

Be it solar, wind, geothermal whatever, we're doomed for expensive power, sporatic outages and excuses. Ormat is poised to increase production, but the govt here would rather wait till a "local group" can do the thing, and be with Helco, (experience or not). They can learn at your expense. And you wouldn't be making an awful outside corp. any money.

Gordon J Tilley
This all sounds intriguing and forward thinking, but there is entrenched opposition to development, even of a potentially environmentally benificial sort, in Kau.

The following quote from the HTH article is instructive:

BEGIN QUOTE---One group with a possible stake in the project is Ka'u Preservation, which envisions "perpetual protection of all historic sites, ancient burials and the rich culture and heritage of Ka'u." Spokesman Danny Miller criticized the project's location and its concept.

"There couldn't be a worse area to develop and subdivide. This is Pele's domain," Miller said.

"This land is Pele's (the goddess) domain and should be protected. There is no source of water there, and it is sacred to all people, and should be protected," Miller said. "Anybody can see this is the most ridiculous place to ever put a subdivision." He said the real purpose of the proposal was to raise the value of the land before the national park began acquisition negotiations, and thus "get more money for it."--END QUOTE (Rob, if a quote this big from a copyrighted source is a TOS violation, please delete.)

Without naming any specific cultural assets at risk, Mr. Miller makes a blanket statement against vitually any use of the land in question other than leaving it alone. Also, the "subdivision" concept in this case is, I think, more in line with dividing the land into more useable size agricultural/industrial parcels rather than putting hundreds of houses on little lots. There may be other valid reasons for not doing this, but the response quoted above is an example of what usually happens when these things get proposed in the Kau area. Also, it doesn't help that the developer, Ken Fujiyama, has good old boy connections with Stacy Higa, among others, and made a lot of people angry by the way he took over a hotel in Hilo. Ah, local politics.

Cheers,
Jerry

Wow, that's the story of the subdivisions. Hiram Fong was famous(and very) popular for those types of deals!

All the islands are rife with this kind of land games, glad people are figuring them out! No progress will come as long as we are tied to Oil Price no matter how we make power.

Right now I'd wonder how the upwind SO2 fumes will treat the plant, or panels, Ag and What killed the downwind wind farm?

"Mr Miller" is going to be the chairman of the Puna no clear cutting committee!

I think one clean running succeful and expandable plant is enough for the Isle, with underground power and utilies.
Gordon J Tilley