Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Histamine Toxicity from Fish
I suspect my wife got food poisoning from the tuna tartar she makes from ground Ahi from a certain supermarket at Puainako. Won't say the name but everyone know's what store I'm talking about, Right? I'll just say it's a 'super store'. Anyway, I told her not to eat the fish raw but she's can't be told what to do and has to learn the hard way.  She got Hives all over. and she had a couple of drinks so now she can't take any antihistamine either. Not having any severe symptoms but Hives from head to toe and she's hot and Itchy . Any suggestions?  Mahalo.   Suspected: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499871/
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Interesting - I had not heard of this before. From the link:

Scombroid poisoning results from eating contaminated fish that have been improperly stored after being caught. The primary toxic agent implicated in scombroid poisoning is histidine (normally found in dark fish meat), which breaks down to histamine. In temperatures warmer than 4 C, the fish undergo bacterial overgrowth and subsequently convert histidine to histamine. In properly stored fish, histamine is normally less than 0.1 mg per 100 g, but histamine levels in contaminated fish are at least 20 to 50 mg per 100 g of fish. The responsible bacteria are most commonly Escherichia coli, Vibrio, Proteus, Klebsiella, Clostridium, Salmonella, and Shigella. [5][2][1][3]

Affected fish do not have a distinct odor or appearance although after cooking the skin may appear honeycombed, which makes detection prior to eating difficult. Occasionally, patients report a “peppery” taste to the fish while eating.

The poisonings occurring after Swiss cheese ingestion have been due to bacterial contamination of the raw milk prior to processing. The pathophysiology of the conversion of histidine to histamine remains the same as in histamine toxicity of fish.
She's recovered in just a few hours. Whew
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Two times in my life I had a similar reaction. Both times I had eaten ice cream after eating seafood. I broke out in hives a couple hours later. It lasted for about a day. Could have been a coincidence but I don't do that anymore.