Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaleo's In Orchidland
Kaleo's has applied for a liquor license for a restaurant on Orchidland Drive. It will be in that new building that was built last year.

Bite the Eye has applied for a liquor license for a location near Ainaloa Blvd and Highway 130.

Luquin's is opening a place in the old Freddy's in Hilo on Manono Street.

There are public notices in todays Trib.
Luquin's is opening a place in the old Freddy's in Hilo on Manono Street.

They were planning to be open in December.
They were planning to be open in December.

The inspector probably didn't like their choice for a urinal.

Kaleo's has applied for a liquor license for a restaurant on Orchidland Drive. It will be in that new building that was built last year.

I hope they invest in some acoustic improvements so their customers can actually have a conversation.  We quit going to their Pahoa location because the noise gave it a hash house atmosphere.  And I don't know why people rave about Kaleo's food.  I thought it was just so-so compared to the nicer places in Hilo.
Seems like a poor time to open a restaurant.
Wouldn't Kaleo's need a whole new SUP to open up shop there? Current one is for a farmer's market.

I'm guessing that they would run into some resistance from the OL community.
If you look at the tax records for that property, it's a legally permitted restaurant and farmers market !

It even has a urinal.
Oik, fair enough, but it was not approved for a bar.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other, but I'm still guessing that others in the OL community will have a strong opinion against it.
OLE charges big road fees to "commercial" enterprise. I think this summarizes their opinion.
A bar near that intersection —sounds like time for a new roundabout...
It was originally going to be an Italian restaurant and outdoor farmer's market (there was a thread about this previously) but I think COVID derailed the original intent.

It's actually the ideal location for a "pandemic restaurant" because it has a huge covered outdoor space where the market was going to go.

I don't know any OLE residents who oppose new restaurants or other businesses down there. We look forward to it. I just hope it's not going to be another bland Asian restaurant...