Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living in Lava Zone 2
Hello All,

My wife and I are coming over this summer to rent for 6 months to a year while we look for a place to buy.  We've visited a few times over the past few years and know as much as we can without living there.  We will be renting in the Hilo/Puna area and will most likely be buying here. 

I've done quite a bit of research on the lava zones, home owners insurance, and risks involved around the differnt zones.  I've seen some nice homes and property all over Puna and just wonder, besides the lower real estate costs in lava zone 2 what else would motivate someone to buy in lava zone 2?    

This is an honest question amd I hope to hear from people who live in and out of this zone.  Motivation for buying there? Thoughts on risk?

Thanks for any insight!
I am curious what the USGS will do to redraw the lava Zones after this last eruption. The added height in the new lava flows should change up the maps a bit.
achutch3, there is much beauty and tranquility in the higher risk lava zones. Ocean views and access, ability to farm, large properties, nature all around you, quiet... One drive down Beach Rd. will answer your question. But it can all go away very quickly as we saw in 2018. I think it comes down to how much heartbreak and financial ruin are you willing to risk.
Hey leilanidude,

Good point.  I guess someone in zone 3 could be in a lower zone now.  That didn't occur to me but it makes sense.

Hey kalianna,

I haven't been down Beach Rd. but I will be sure to take that drive when I get there.  I understand what you are describing and can see why someone would consider these areas.  Sounds like if it feels right you weigh the risk and go with it.  Follow your heart or follow your head.  That's the decision.

Thanks for the replies!!!
Achutch3, we're in Lava Zone 3, BUT we fell in love with Kapoho and bid on a house there. We were outbid. It turned out to be a blessing, because that house no longer exists. LZ3 is more comfortable, but you have to ask yourself why LZ9 exists. Also: I was awakened by Mt. St. Helens on Whidbey Island when it blew out over 100 miles away. What if Mt. Rainier or Mt. Baker went off? The risk is difficult to assess. I would recommend LZ3, but hey...Rat Lungworm risk is higher here...read that thread. Aloha!
(03-01-2021, 04:35 PM)bgiles Wrote: Achutch3, we're in Lava Zone 3, BUT we fell in love with Kapoho and bid on a house there. We were outbid. It turned out to be a blessing, because that house no longer exists. LZ3 is more comfortable, but you have to ask yourself why LZ9 exists. Also: I was awakened by Mt. St. Helens on Whidbey Island when it blew out over 100 miles away. What if Mt. Rainier or Mt. Baker went off? The risk is difficult to assess. I would recommend LZ3, but hey...Rat Lungworm risk is higher here...read that thread. Aloha!

Hey bgiles,

Thanks for the insight and glad it worked out flor you.  Good points on the Washington and overall LZ risks.

I'm leaning towards LZ3 or higher but wanted to start this thread to maybe gain some more understanding from others already there and possibly people actually living in 2 and their toughts and feelings.
You may want to consider the Naalehu area if LZ3 or lower bothers you. Lots of LZ6 around there.
(02-28-2021, 10:30 PM)achutch3 Wrote: ...besides the lower real estate costs in lava zone 2 what else would motivate someone to buy in lava zone 2?

The pros of buying/living in zone two is OMG it is a lovely environment, if you like that sort of thing and are willing to risk everything to be there. And yes, property values are lower, relatively, because of that fact. And, it is a fact that the land you are on will be, not might be, but will be for sure, inundated at some point in the relatively short term future. Your lifetime? Maybe not. But talk to the folks in Kapoho who chanted, for years, not in their lifetime. 

You might want to look at this video for an overview of what I mean..

https://youtu.be/Ooes_mqTwME?t=775

The whole video is very educational, but I have set it to start where Dr. Ken Hon, the narrator, focuses on just how much, and how fast, Kilauea covers itself. Keep in mind, this video was made before the eruption in 2018.

The list of cons only grows from there. To begin with your investment is pretty much up for grabs. You could lose it all to nature, or conversely, you could lose it all legislatively. I say this because there are rumblings in the halls of government about a complete review of our official stance on LZ1 and LZ2. You will note that today there is no real difference in any government laws, or codes etc., but that may change. 

Of course, in the private sector, insurance companies are not all that interested in insuring investments in LZ1 and LZ2. And this has become more of a concern after the 2018 eruption than it was before. Also note that the federal government has declared they will no longer invest as they did before in LZ1 and LZ2 either. HUD came to the island last year to make this point clear to our legislative body. Watch this video for more on that..

https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2019/...zones-1-2/

There you’ll see one of our county council members asking if the boundaries of the zones can be adjusted. The back story on that is after the 2018 eruption loans for development in LZ2 dried up. This, as you can imagine, had a very negative impact on farmers in the agriculture sections of the island that fall within those boundaries. Especially in South Kona, ie coffee farms and such, as the banks stopped lending in the area. Maile David, the council member featured in that video, who represents that side of the island, has gotten a lot of flack from her constituents over this issue. 

As a result of all that, I suspect, the entire government stance on LZ1 and LZ2 is heading towards review. It may take a while, but the consequences of our government not being prepared for the eruption in 2018 are coming back to bite us. Even the Lava Zone Map could be reviewed, updated, since as a base for all policy discussions it is itself outdated. Which is to say any understanding of the zoning and rights of a private landowner in LZ1 and LZ2 may be revised in time.

Also note that currently in order to sustain any kind of development in LZ1 and LZ2 the state offers insurance for homeowners at a premium. In 1991, the Hawaii Legislature created the Hawaii Property Insurance Agency (HPIA) as a result of the Town of Kalapana being destroyed by lava in 1990 and insurance companies becoming hesitant to insure in danger zones. This has allowed our local governments to turn a blind eye to the actual dangers involved, and subsequently created the disaster in 2018 where far too many homes were destroyed. Homes that would not have been in harms way had HPIA never been formed. 

A good article on HPIA and its effect can be read here…

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/390...ster-worse

With that in mind it is prudent to ask yourself how long can Hawaii sustain the illusion of all is well in LZ1 and LZ2? And, note, once these issues are confronted, even places like the town of Pahoa, which is in LZ2, could change dramatically if county and state actually take responsibility for their actions. 

"I am curious what the USGS will do to redraw the lava Zones after this last eruption

The last eruption did nothing to change the lava zone (LZ) map, other than to show how valid it is. In other words, LZ1 is where eruptions are likely to break out, and LZ2 is where lava flows from those eruptions are likely to flow. Whereas zone three is within the boundaries of likely flow actively but not in the immediate future. Although zone three can become active in the blink of an eye, it is more unlikely than in zones one and two. 

Also worth noting is the fact that the USGS themselves says this about the boundaries between lava zones..

"Hazard-zone boundaries are drawn as double lines because of the geologic uncertainty in their placement. Most boundaries are gradational, and the change in the degree of hazard can be found over a distance of a mile or more.”

Of course one needs to keep in mind that the most recent revision of the Lava Zone Map was in 1992, before our data collection was enhanced by satellites, and the myriad of studies done since.  So with the next update maybe the boundaries will change, but if they do it will only be slightly, and I doubt enough to effect any of us.
Lava zone 3 feels safe from lava, but when the volcano goes off we do get vog.  The further south you go from Pahoa -and all the way up the Kona coast, the more vog you'll get.
(03-01-2021, 10:05 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 10:30 PM)achutch3 Wrote: ...besides the lower real estate costs in lava zone 2 what else would motivate someone to buy in lava zone 2?

The pros of buying/living in zone two is OMG it is a lovely environment, if you like that sort of thing and are willing to risk everything to be there. And yes, property values are lower, relatively, because of that fact. And, it is a fact that the land you are on will be, not might be, but will be for sure, inundated at some point in the relatively short term future. Your lifetime? Maybe not. But talk to the folks in Kapoho who chanted, for years, not in their lifetime. 

You might want to look at this video for an overview of what I mean..

https://youtu.be/Ooes_mqTwME?t=775

The whole video is very educational, but I have set it to start where Dr. Ken Hon, the narrator, focuses on just how much, and how fast, Kilauea covers itself. Keep in mind, this video was made before the eruption in 2018.

The list of cons only grows from there. To begin with your investment is pretty much up for grabs. You could lose it all to nature, or conversely, you could lose it all legislatively. I say this because there are rumblings in the halls of government about a complete review of our official stance on LZ1 and LZ2. You will note that today there is no real difference in any government laws, or codes etc., but that may change. 

Of course, in the private sector, insurance companies are not all that interested in insuring investments in LZ1 and LZ2. And this has become more of a concern after the 2018 eruption than it was before. Also note that the federal government has declared they will no longer invest as they did before in LZ1 and LZ2 either. HUD came to the island last year to make this point clear to our legislative body. Watch this video for more on that..

https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2019/...zones-1-2/

There you’ll see one of our county council members asking if the boundaries of the zones can be adjusted. The back story on that is after the 2018 eruption loans for development in LZ2 dried up. This, as you can imagine, had a very negative impact on farmers in the agriculture sections of the island that fall within those boundaries. Especially in South Kona, ie coffee farms and such, as the banks stopped lending in the area. Maile David, the council member featured in that video, who represents that side of the island, has gotten a lot of flack from her constituents over this issue. 

As a result of all that, I suspect, the entire government stance on LZ1 and LZ2 is heading towards review. It may take a while, but the consequences of our government not being prepared for the eruption in 2018 are coming back to bite us. Even the Lava Zone Map could be reviewed, updated, since as a base for all policy discussions it is itself outdated. Which is to say any understanding of the zoning and rights of a private landowner in LZ1 and LZ2 may be revised in time.

Also note that currently in order to sustain any kind of development in LZ1 and LZ2 the state offers insurance for homeowners at a premium. In 1991, the Hawaii Legislature created the Hawaii Property Insurance Agency (HPIA) as a result of the Town of Kalapana being destroyed by lava in 1990 and insurance companies becoming hesitant to insure in danger zones. This has allowed our local governments to turn a blind eye to the actual dangers involved, and subsequently created the disaster in 2018 where far too many homes were destroyed. Homes that would not have been in harms way had HPIA never been formed. 

A good article on HPIA and its effect can be read here…

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/390...ster-worse

With that in mind it is prudent to ask yourself how long can Hawaii sustain the illusion of all is well in LZ1 and LZ2? And, note, once these issues are confronted, even places like the town of Pahoa, which is in LZ2, could change dramatically if county and state actually take responsibility for their actions. 

"I am curious what the USGS will do to redraw the lava Zones after this last eruption

The last eruption did nothing to change the lava zone (LZ) map, other than to show how valid it is. In other words, LZ1 is where eruptions are likely to break out, and LZ2 is where lava flows from those eruptions are likely to flow. Whereas zone three is within the boundaries of likely flow actively but not in the immediate future. Although zone three can become active in the blink of an eye, it is more unlikely than in zones one and two. 

Also worth noting is the fact that the USGS themselves says this about the boundaries between lava zones..

"Hazard-zone boundaries are drawn as double lines because of the geologic uncertainty in their placement. Most boundaries are gradational, and the change in the degree of hazard can be found over a distance of a mile or more.”

Of course one needs to keep in mind that the most recent revision of the Lava Zone Map was in 1992, before our data collection was enhanced by satellites, and the myriad of studies done since.  So with the next update maybe the boundaries will change, but if they do it will only be slightly, and I doubt enough to effect any of us.

Hey MyManao,

Thank you for the thorough post and links.  Very good information.  Much appreciated.