Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucy's Taqueria for sale
We've eaten there a few times and it was ok. Not sure how many options there are for "Mexican"  in Hilo nowadays, but if someone buys it and makes it something else, there'll be one less...

https://reserver1.hawaiiinformation.com/REsearch6/Sites/HIS/Areas/SearchHIS/ASP/Results/Search_MLS.asp?SID=REsearchDetail&DID=mls&SRC=EXT&DT=7748&LS=RE&H=3355333f23c9fa951a979ba14acb6512&P=71500809&CF=1&STRM=MLS&KEY=646870&DFRM=mls
Luquin's is opening up a new place where Freddy's was on Manono.

A lot easier to find parking there.
Not enough parking, restaurant too loud to have a conversation, cafeteria style ordering, and food too salty to eat.

At least that's what we had the one time we ate there. Have been told by others we must have been there on an "off day" with the salt thing.
I'm sad about losing Lucy's, but the owners are older and looking to retire.

Mi Ranchito in Hawi is delicious, and has outdoor seating. A bit of a drive though for us Punatics.

Luquin's may technically qualify as food.
"Too loud to have a conversation" is what drove me away. It's such an easy fix though. Maybe the new owners?
Almost $15k a year in property taxes...ouch!
My only experience at Lucy's was the same as terracore's . . . noisy, salty, and a confusing, disorganized ordering system. Never went back. Luquin's has earned a loyal following thanks to their laudable long-standing community ties and values, but their food is just so-so, and I got tired of the nasty attitude one of their veteran waitresses. My solution for the lack of good Mexican in East Hawaii was to take online cooking lessons, and I can now produce fairly tasty Tex-Mex. Before the pandemic, it was quite popular when we had friends over. Still, it would be nice to be able to go out for good Mexican food.
Is there any place that has better margaritas, though?

Luquin's-in-old-Freddy's was supposed to open in December. Maybe they meant 2021.
If you sit in the bar area the bartender will take your order and serve your food.
I usually go to a restaurant to eat so conversation is secondary.

Luquin's has made a number of changes to their food prep and it might be worth another visit for some of you.
I like the Pancho's Tacos food truck.