Poll: Do the Police have bigger fish to fry?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
85.71%
12 85.71%
No
14.29%
2 14.29%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kahena Krackdown?
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/hawaii-...4-sundays/

Hawaii Island officials issue more than 100 citations at Kehena Black Sand Beach over 4 Sundays
LOCAL NEWS
by: Web Staff

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 / 03:12 PM HST / Updated: Apr 26, 2021 / 05:17 PM HST

HONOLULU (KHON2) — Hawaii County police, State conservation enforcement officers and deputy sheriffs handed out more than 100 citations at Kehena Black Sand Beach in Puna over the past four Sundays.

Officials with the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) say regular patrols of the entire Puna coastline will continue.

Authorities went out to enforce State and County laws regarding alcohol consumption, drug use and public nudity. The Public Safety Department deputy director for law enforcement says illegal and unsafe activity will not be tolerated.

“The Sheriffs Division, along with its other law enforcement partners will not tolerate unsafe and illegal activities on Hawaii’s beaches and in parks. We will take appropriate action to deter this type of behavior to ensure a safe environment for our community.”

A total of 123 citations were issued by officers who swept Kehena Beach on Sunday, April 4, Sunday, April 11, Sunday, April 18 and Sunday, April 25. Dozens of vehicles were given tickets for expired safety inspections, lack of insurance and other violations on the highway next to the beach.

Over 200 masks were also handed out by officers during the sweeps.

Hawaii County Police Chief Paul Ferreira said, “The joint enforcement efforts in this area have been in response to concerns raised by the community, and the Hawai`i Police Department appreciates the collaborative efforts by all law enforcement agencies involved. We also appreciate the community’s understanding and cooperative response to our officers that have been monitoring the activities in the Kalapana Seaview Estates to reduce the spread of the coronavirus.” 

Is this a good use of taxpayer money?
As with most things: they can't be bothered to manage or maintain, only impose spot enforcement. Kehene is the only somewhat safe beach on the east side, why isn't there a resort there?
"Is this a good use of taxpayer money?"

Assaults, robberies and murders in the area !
They’re looking for “full moons”.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
This Sunday I saw 8 police cars and one DLNR vehicle at the aseaview lawn. They all sit there all day long. But they don’t stop the large gathering of people trespassing on Seaview’s private property. I didn’t know there were even 8 cops cars in all of Puna at the same time! Note to burglars: Sunday is a good day to do your thing.
they don’t stop the large gathering of people trespassing on Seaview’s private property

Exactly: that's private property. Seaview can "just" hire off-duty HPD and/or private security, or build a fence, right?
... or build a fence, right?

If they did, they might have to also change the subdivision name to Fenceview.
(04-27-2021, 08:24 AM)Hotinhawaii2 Wrote: This Sunday I saw 8 police cars and one DLNR vehicle at the aseaview lawn. They all sit there all day long. But they don’t stop the large gathering of people trespassing on Seaview’s private property. I didn’t know there were even 8 cops cars in all of Puna at the same time! Note to burglars: Sunday is a good day to do your thing.

Has anyone with "authority" in the HOA ever complained about trespassing on the lawn and asked that something be done about it?
Reading their meeting minutes shows that they have reached out to the county.

It looks like the police presence is there to make the trespassers obey any existing laws.
(04-27-2021, 10:44 PM)leilanidude Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 08:24 AM)Hotinhawaii2 Wrote: This Sunday I saw 8 police cars and one DLNR vehicle at the aseaview lawn. They all sit there all day long. But they don’t stop the large gathering of people trespassing on Seaview’s private property. I didn’t know there were even 8 cops cars in all of Puna at the same time! Note to burglars: Sunday is a good day to do your thing.

Has anyone with "authority" in the HOA ever complained about trespassing on the lawn and asked that something be done about it?
The HOA has complained for years to the police, they have talked with those at the gathering, posted signs, to no avail. More recently, they expressed concern about the illegal gatherings that violated the state's COVID mandates. The cops
did send everybody home a couple of times.