Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucky You Live Puna???
Hey All,

I wanted to start a thread based on what makes you the happiest, makes you smile, makes you feel good about living in Puna and the wet side of the island in general.

As I've read through threads the last year or so I've definitly seen the things which are obstacles to living in Puna.  Don't get me wrong, the whole story should always be told and reality should not be embellished.  I'm a pretty fact based and analytical person who doesnt like sugar coated stories and fake accounts.

With that said, I'm gathering the negatives outweigh the positives to living where you live which makes me wonder what it is that keeps you there.  What are the things about Puna that make you smile, bring you joy, make you feel lucky you live there, make you overlook the perceived negatives? 

Honest curiosoty and I hope to hear from you.

Thanks.
No matter what restaurant or store I go into, in Pahoa, I will see multiple people that I know, every time and be greeted or acknowledged, enthusiastically. This happens whether they are friends or simply acquaintances.
The vog is mostly on the Kona side.
There's not a day that goes by that I'm not stopped in my tracks by the beauty around me. And if I have to survive a pandemic, short of being in New Zealand, there's no place else I'd rather be.
Certainty will be the death of us.
The positives outweigh the negatives. Why else would people electively live on the flanks of an erupting volcano?
(04-29-2021, 09:32 PM)terracore Wrote: The positives outweigh the negatives. Why else would people electively live on the flanks of an erupting volcano?
I live here because I love Hawaii, no matter which island. The first time I stepped off of a plane in Honolulu, in 1978, I fell in love with the air, or atmosphere, it's hard to describe.  My first love was O'ahu.  I felt at home instantly.  My kids and I moved to the Big Island because it's the only place in the state where I could afford to own a house.  It's been 32 years here and I'm rooted for life.  It's still the feeling in the air, the people, and now the memories.  Most of my family is here too.
Why else would people electively live on the flanks of an erupting volcano?

Lack of regulatory enforcement. Year-round growing season.
I fell in love with Hawaii on my first trip too. It was also Oahu and it was the smell of Plumeria, the moisture in the air, the vibe. I too have my home on the Big Island because it is affordable to own property, but also because of the rainforest, the beaches, the people, the wild and barren lava landscapes, the warm ocean water teeming with tropical fish. While my home is not in Puna, I do love to spend time exploring the area.
the moisture in the air,
I fell in love with the air,

Hawaii.  The air is so dewy sweet you don’t even have to lick the stamps (remember those?).
https://youtu.be/ScM4zk_Fyu0
Lived here 18 years until the lava took our whole community and the priceless Waiopae Tidepools.
Still here just in a different place but still in Puna.
It's warm and I like the lifestyle!