Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good/bad landlords
My wife and young son and I will be moving to the Hilo or Puna area in mid June. I've been looking at the want ads in the HTH to scope out possible rentals. Where I live now, there are some landlords that are umm..not so great and some that are good.
Any recommendations on good landlords or warnings of ones to stay away from?
Wow! Twenty views and no one has an opinion? I should clarify- I'm referring to the agencies and real estate companies. No comments?
Some of us were at a meeting earlier today...

But I believe the main "non-response" is that it's because most of us are home owners and haven't had to deal with landlords here.

I can give you an Oahu Horror story... but it wouldn't help you out here[Wink]

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.
Thanks Damon- I hear ya. We'll be homeowners soon, but need to rent for a while first.
You may also want to read this previous thread.[Wink]

-------
There is also a general reluctance to talk stink about anybody when you all live together on the same island. Especially talk stink in writing no less!

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Thanks for the responses. I noticed that many of the ads are from one or two agencies and just don't want to get burned.
I would much rather rent from a "family" or person... then an agency.

I see a lot of rentals here.

You may want to really investigate the school(s) that you want your child to attend before settling into something for the long-term.

-------
He will be going into 5th grade. Good schools? Bad schools?
quote:
Originally posted by jime98532

He will be going into 5th grade. Good schools? Bad schools?

Schools have been discussed on many other threads... I suggest typing the keyword "school" using the search feature on punaweb to view those discussions.

Unless your ready to drop $10,000 + per year... All the Public schools in the State of Hawaii suck. There are some charter schools that are helping alleviate the problem, but many of them are not accredited. (This comes from someone who just ended 10 years in the DOE system)

-------