Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CDL on the Big Island?
Hey All,

Anyone know if there are any CDL schools, programs, or training on the Big Island?

Thanks!
Here is a place including costs.

https://hawaiitruckingandtransportation.com/
Someone with a CDL told me it's difficult for "non-locals" to find work.
Hey Obie,

Thanks for the link!

Hey kalakoa,

Thanks for the tip.  Seems weird.  I've seen quite a few companies looking for CDL drivers so seems strange they would hire locals only.  CDL drivers are ususally in short supply so I would think companies would be just looking to fill the spots when they can.  Thank you for the insight.
"Someone with a CDL told me it's difficult for "non-locals" to find work."

If this were true then why are there help wanted ads for CDL drivers running in the Trib every day ?
They might be doing just what I've seen done elsewhere, waiting for a local with proof that they are to apply.
Checking a resume would do that.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
There is a widely held axiom of employment on this island that non-local applicants usually go to the bottom of the hire list. There are generally two reasons given for this. The more charitable of those (for the employers) holds that a high proportion of mainland transplants return there within a few years, thus creating turnover and the need to train replacements. It is indeed a fact that a lot of mainlanders don't stay here, ironically in some cases because they can't find employment. The less savory explanation is that it is racial discrimination, but relatively few complaints of such get anywhere.

Exceptions (which might not help the OP) would appear to include the national chain big box retailers like Target, Home Depot, Safeway, and WalMart, along with a some smaller companies that need very specific technical skill sets in high demand. I know several people who took jobs at big box retailers and managed to find positions in their preferred field after a few years of residency. Not everyone is able or willing to do that.
The reason for the never ending ads for CDL drivers is they can't find drivers that can pass a drug test.
My wife is a Certified Medical Assistant with an Associates Degree and I am looking into getting my CDL. I have an extensive backgtround in logistics/mechanics/business management along with a Bachelors Degree.

I assumed these (Medical Assistant/CDL Driver) were the types of positions in that you either have the proper cerification or you don't. Seems these positions are in demand and neither of us use drugs so I thought there may be a chance!!!
(05-21-2021, 09:27 PM)Obie Wrote: "Someone with a CDL told me it's difficult for "non-locals" to find work."

If this were true then why are there help wanted ads for CDL drivers running in the Trib every day ?

You have to be careful when quoting kalakoa. He or she didn't say it was difficult for a non-local with a CDL to get work, he or she said "Someone with a CDL told me it's difficult for "non-locals" to find work". I.e., the CDL is irrelevant.