Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airport protests
Not Puna related, unless anyone plans on traveling to Maui or Oahu today. The article doesn't say what is being protested.

https://www.khon2.com/traffic/tsa-rollin...y-4th/amp/
They are protesting everything.

Are you a resident of Hawai'i and are you frustrated about an issue? 
Bring your gripe!
Everybody is welcome to attend.
  • Don't have a group, just form one and join us!
Pledge one lap around the airport per gripe.

The reason for us to gather is because the government has stopped listening to the community and more than ever, the concerns that we have, directly impact the life and well-being of everyone in Hawaii. When we come together then we can begin the process of meaningful dialogue and change. July 4th 2021, is not about celebrating independence, its about practicing it.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/traffic-for...1582608933
It started with a protest to repeal HB499.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=265675231984594&set=a.108370127715106
I really really wish we had an alternate timeline viewer, so we could see how Hawaii would turn out if these folks got their way. Tear down the retail and industrial areas where everyone works, kick out the tourists, establish a race-based kingdom, get rid of all the telescopes, get rid of wind power, kick out the US military, etc.

I'm guessing it would look a lot like Haiti, until China takes over.
Don’t forget to get rid of EBT, etc.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
government has stopped listening to the community

Hate to point this out, but the government has never listened to "the community", it was founded by and for white male landowners. In the original US, elected "leaders" were required to have a minimum net worth. They wrote the "Bill of Rights" as window dressing to keep "the community" from forming a revolution.
You're allowed to keep banging your drums because it distracts you from the fact that you were sold out.
Multiple issues were protested, only one of which was the land lease bill.  Tens of thousands are on the DHHL homestead waiting list and this is how many people showed up yesterday, across the entire state:

Organizers said hundreds took part in a drive-by convoys at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport and other airports around the state today.

“They pass House Bill 499 to give developers the leases of stolen Hawaiian lands while our people make up 40 percent of the houseless in Hawaii.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com//app/2021/...nd-rights/

Are airports the best place when appealing to advocates or additional supporters?  Or maybe instead, how about the front steps of DHHL & OHA offices?

Are airports the best place when appealing to advocates or additional supporters?  Or maybe instead, how about the front steps of DHHL & OHA offices?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Because clearly neither OHA nor DHHL care to solve the problem.  Therefore protests need to involve and unfortunately inconvenience the general public.

Interfering with the tourism dollar should in theory create sufficient pressure to manifest the desired result.

Honestly, I am surprised at how in this day and age of 'woke' that such a clear cut case of social inequity could persist.
I'm surprised we still have race/DNA based programs like these in 2021. Or that the notion of "we were here first" is somehow woke. How is a Chinese-American descendent of one of the kingdom's indentured workers-turned-citizen any less deserving of land? Why are younger generations of Hawaiian-Americans punished for not being genetically pure enough? How is a child born in Hawaii not Hawaiian? This perpetuation of racism is sickening and it needs to stop.
DHHL exists through an Act of Congress that was intended to somewhat address the unlawful taking of Hawaiian land.

This was essentially a 1920s mea culpa for the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii a few decades earlier.

The aim was to provide a portion of land for Native Hawaiian usage not unlike the Native American reservations found on the mainland. Who qualifies as a member of those mainland tribes is a matter of deep and serious debate that varies from tribe to tribe or from band to band.

The issue I have is not in how DHHL qualifies their applicants, it is that 100 years later 27,000 people are on a waiting list for land. At this point it appears that we may need a second Act of Congress to enforce the first one.