Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Land formation, lava tunnels, shelves etc.
Has anyone had first-hand experience with finding geologic features on land here? When I worked planning stateside, you could research geography of any parcel. In Fairbanks, we read permafrost maps (before buying). Here with lava, it’s more fluid, I’m sure, but to get building permits, do they make some study on each parcel (I’m talking HPP not leilani) and where is that information kept? Is there anything else to consider when buying near coast (besides crumbling shelf or tube— not moon wobble)?TIA
There is a small lava tube on my property in HPP that is mostly collapsed, but has two small remaining chambers and two pretty deep open holes. The previous owner didn't even know all that was there in the jungle behind the house, but I carefully walked the property with some difficulty and found most of the features. When I told him, he said he never went back there and then asked if I was still interested in the house. Frau Chunkster and I found the features attractive, and once satisfied that they in no way affected the structure, we bought the place. Everything has been fine, and they make interesting landscape features.

Our realtor told us that owners are "expected" to disclose such matters, but I'm not sure if that is a legal requirement unless they are a known hazard. I would hope so, as the ones on our property could be dangerous for small children. In my case, my own due diligence found the tube, and it wasn't a problem. I have never heard of any geological studies required for building permits, but don't tell the county there's a way to make things harder, or they will require it just to spite us all. I have heard of D-9s falling into big lava tubes and have seen pictures of such. It happens.
I have a few collapsed areas on my lot with small openings into lava tubes.  There are several areas which when I jump sound hollow so are most likely a tube underneath.  The area for my house pad was ripped and then poured concrete and hasn’t settled too much in 40 years, other than what I consider acceptable, normal settling.  For instance, window screens are no longer perfect rectangles but slightly irregular quadrilaterals.

On the other hand, I spoke with someone up on 4th Street and he swears when waves are crashing on the ocean cliffs the sound travels up a tube with an opening in his yard, loud enough that he can hear it from his home on quiet nights.
eigoya, you must be forgetting some of the fun community meetings during the 2014 Pahoa lava flow... where NO ONE, not even the geologists, had any idea of the geology the lava was entering within the "crack system"....
Nope, no geological survey required & for the most part, little of the island actually has conclusive USGS geological mapping (& very few benchmarks, compared to most of the mainland)
Luckily, most every excavator operator expects to find lava tubes, holes, cracks (& cars... acres of cars & other detritus) whenever they are working lots here....
I know of at least 2 people who have on their property entrances to substantial tubes that they haven't been able to find on any tube/spelunking maps.
http://kazumuracave.com/ This runs under Ainaloa and HPP
The Kazumura cave tour is great.
I remember the man who fell ( to his. Death?) into a tube
in his yard in Hilo a few years back. Trying not to be the next story…
I almost posted about that. The scary part is that he had lived there for many years before this happened.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/us/man-di...index.html
I have 4 lava tubes/caves on my property that I can fit into.. all get too small within 10-20', but my cat can go in over 75' and come out another puka on one... my property is 100% pahoehoe from Christopher Columbus Era flows toward Haena east Puna.