Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Temperature, climate, around lava flow?
Is it just me?  

I’ve noticed, for awhile, something that feels like radiant heat night and day (since the lava).

In the “before fissure 8” days the weather was just about perfect.  

I feel like I am living close to a toaster oven since.

It’s not just the temperature but something else.  

Ccat
When was the last HVO temp survey of the flow field?
(08-09-2021, 12:42 PM)Ccat Wrote: Is it just me?

No, Ccat, it isn't just you..

In the 02/28/2019 Volcano Watch titled How do lava flows cool and how long does it take? found here..

https://www.usgs.gov/center-news/volcano...es-it-take

It states..

Eruptive lava temperatures of the 2018 LERZ eruption reached a maximum of approximately 1140 degrees Celsius (2080 degrees Fahrenheit). When the entire flow cools below about 1000 degrees Celsius (1800 degrees Fahrenheit), it has solidified, but the interior is still very hot...

Based on a study of crustal cooling of pāhoehoe lava flows in Kalapana erupted from the East Rift Zone Kupaianaha vent in 1990, we can estimate the solidification time for the 2018 LERZ flows...

Preliminary analyses of the 2018 LERZ eruption flow thicknesses, suggest that the average flow thickness is around 10–15 m (33–50 ft). Based on the cooling rate calculation, it could take roughly 8 months to 1.5 years for flows of these thicknesses to solidify...

Solidification of flows ranging 20–30 m (65–100 ft) thick could take about 2.5–6 years. The thickest LERZ flows on land, which are approximately 55 m (180 ft) thick, may take roughly 20 years to reach a completely solid state...

Keep in mind that solidification is not cool. It is when the lava has frozen to rock, as stated above that is at about 1800 degrees Fahrenheit.. which is still a long way to cold. In other words it will take years.

The other part of the equation is how much gas is still escaping from the rock as this takes place? Based upon my own experience I would speculate that there is still traces throughout the cooling process, though in lessor and lessor amounts as the process continues. As such, if you are sensitive to volcanic gases you will continue to feel discomfort for the same period of time. Though in a quick search I didn't find any documentation to support, or refute, that assumption.

I hope that helps.
Go along 130 south of Leilani where the road was repaired. There is steam still rising from a few areas west of the road. That leads me to believe it’s still hot down there.
You can also go to the end of the new 132 to check for hot rocks and steam.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(08-09-2021, 06:50 PM)eightfingers2.0 Wrote: Go along 130 south of Leilani where the road was repaired. There is steam still rising from a few areas west of the road. That leads me to believe it’s still hot down there.
You can also go to the end of the new 132 to check for hot rocks and steam.

You can hike the Kilauea Iki trial and still see the steam rising from the solidified lava lake, some 60 years later.

There's just so much heat in there, and it's not going away anytime soon.