Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Leader Roth flexes his fascist muscles
The state is evaluating a proposal from Mayor Mitch Roth to publicly identify individuals who opt to quarantine after arriving on the island, Gov. David Ige said.

Roth said he believes identifying individuals opting to quarantine does not violate the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a federal health information privacy law known as HIPAA, because it does not identify whether or not someone received a vaccine or was tested for COVID-19.

“I think if (the quarantine information is) in a place where it’s easily accessible, I think it’s something people would want to know,” Roth said. “It’s something the community would want to know. Right now, it’s difficult to enforce if nobody knows. … We know there are people who violate the quarantine rules.”

“I know that Mayor Roth just believes it would require unlimited county police resources to be able to verify every single individual in quarantine," explained Ige. "He believes publicizing it and letting people know about who should be in quarantine would be a good way to increase enforcement,”

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...ncing-act/

This will end badly.

Pitting local against tourist and neighbor against neighbor will only strain the already overloaded hospitals.
There's an easy fix here. Just require anyone flying to the islands to be vaccinated. No need for any quarantine. No need for any testing pre-flights. No rushing to find a testing center 48-72 hours beforehand.

Qantas is going to require all people flying Internationally to Australia to be vaccinated. It's only a matter of time before others follow suit.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
(09-15-2021, 06:56 PM)Justin Wrote: There's an easy fix here.  Just require anyone flying to the islands to be vaccinated.  No need for any quarantine.  No need for any testing pre-flights.  No rushing to find a testing center 48-72 hours beforehand.

Qantas is going to require all people flying Internationally to Australia to be vaccinated.  It's only a matter of time before others follow suit.
Can the state of Hawaii do this on its own?  
Canada requires all domestic and international air travelers to be vaccinated.   I suspect that this policy will be the norm for international travel but not for U.S. domestic.  It would require a LOT of work for airlines to enforce so they're probably opposed.
We already have the "Mitch is a Moron" thread. Why do we need this one? His idiotic quarantine list publication scheme can be discussed there.
We already have the "Mitch is a Moron" thread. Why do we need this one? 

Good question.
I’ll hazard a reply.
The “Supreme Leader” thread is for his unlimited, all powerful capabilities?
“Moron” thread for his incompetence & ineffectiveness?
Durian Fiend, that is a good question. I don't think the state can mandate the flights themselves (as they fall under Federal guidelines), but perhaps they could get to the same endpoint via a different mechanism (akin to how the Fed used OSHA requirements to mandate companies with more than 100 people require vaccinations). The state could mandate all hotels, rentals, etc., require proof of vaccination for guests, which would get most of the way there, at least for non-residents.

Also, there's not that many airlines that fly to Hawaii, and they might have an incentive to collaborate with the state to agree to do this. Who knows. We'll see what transpires in the coming weeks and months.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
Well, Mitch has got people talking about the problem. Knowing Mitch I suggest if you have a better idea, let him know.
We "could" do lots of things, but we won't. Starting with this plan; too many "concerns" about "medical privacy" and "vigilantism".

The only arrangement that might work is mandatory quarantine at a designated facility for any unvaccinated arrival, but that would have to come from the State, and neither Ige nor any of his cronies have the required backbone. Remember, those visitors are our economy, and they cannot be inconvenienced under any circumstances.
If only we could find other opportunities to supplant some of the 20% of the economy that tourism represents.

You know, like a telescope. Or maybe a spaceport.
Haven't you heard? Nothing can replace tourism, so there's no point in even trying.