Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust Inhibitors
I wanted to pick up a rust inhibitor tomorrow in Hilo, but everything on the Home Depot web site says "Not Available In Hawaii."  I have an almost empty bottle of Krud Kutter that I thought I bought there, but "Not Available In Hawaii.".
Anyone know who has the stuff, and brand recommendations?

terracore, are you out there?  Your tip on Antixx for fire ants was a lifesaver, those buggers are nearly gone.  I need some more good advice.
Last time I needed something like that I went to HPM, they had quite a selection.
Corrosion Block at Alumside. Near Walmart on Kukila street. Found out about it in this thread years ago:

https://punaweb.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=16102&highlight=alumside

They have two kinds/sizes, a pump sprayer and aerosol. The aerosol is cheaper per oz but the last can I had ran out of propellant at a little less than half empty.

Oh yeah, Home Depot sells a corrosion inhibitor made by WD40. I've used both and can't really tell if one is better than the other...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WD-40-SPECIA...2-23-12140
I used Krud Kutter on my Garage door 4 years ago and have not seen any rust spots after repainting. Bought it at Ace Hardware in Pahoa. Might want to check there or Ace in Hilo.
Deckman
I think I've seen corrosion block at ACE in Pahoa.

Far left by the automotive stuff. Lot's of other corrosion preventive products like LPS3.
Thanks everyone.
I picked up the WD-40 Spray rust inhibitor, I think it will work better than the brush on which I usually use.  Will check out the liquid brush ons next time I’m at HPM or hardware store.

terracore?  Suggestions? I know you have rust up in Orchidland.
Just going to be captain obvious and say paint is an excellent rust prohibiter. The 1 gallon cans of poly paint down at HD (any hardware store) seem to provide a thick sealing layer that prevents water intrusion. Just wire wheel off the rust scale and paint it.
What surface are you working with? If you can do what Kander suggests, I agree with that approach.