Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Puna
I'd like to start a thread that goes back to the original idea behind this site - news, info, comments about what is going on in Puna, rather than arguing state vs federal jurisdictions ad nauseam.  So here go a few ?s:

The new Kaleo's has opened at the bottom of Orchidland Drive, and the outdoor seating  was packed the few times I drove by.  There is a new charter school opening up at the corner of Orchidland Drive and 34th  ( I think it's HAAS elementary, but not sure ). The amount of traffic at the intersection with the highway  will rise substantially.   Given the number of accidents that already take place there,  will we have to hit the number of fatalities that the Pahoa town intersection reached before we get either a roundabout or traffic light at that spot ?  The jurisdiction arguments are much closer to home:  private road vs state highway vs county permits.

Does anyone know what is being built at the corner of HWY 130 and Aulii ?  There has been a lot of heavy equipment there for several weeks now.  The ground prep seems to be much more substantial than what a house requires.  I've stopped and looked for any kind of notice of variance, but didn't see any.  There's nothing on the OLCA website, and I don't do FB so I couldn't check there.  I called the planning department twice and was put on lengthy holds both times, and had to hang up because my phone battery was dying.  I know that at one point several years ago, there was an application for a supermarket on that corner, but it was denied because Aulii is technically a side street, not main access road.  Does any one have info about this ?
What do you think about the plan to replace one of the traffic circles with a traffic light?

Will the backed up traffic get better or worse after the light is added? At least they will be widening the road, which hopefully should help a lot.

What bugs me is the traffic light at HPP really slows things down since there is no acceleration lane and I assume people keep triggering the light whenever they want to turn right.
LMAO!

Highway 130 is, has been and will be a window into the glaring failure of civil engineering in Hawaii.

Plans? We have none. Studies? We have many.
I'll just throw out a some (inconvenient) facts.

1. Planning considers all "in-progress" permits to be secret. Once they've passed public hearing (if any) the status is simply not available. None of your business what's being built.

2. The only real State highway on the island is Saddle Road. All others are County highways with State route numbers and possibly State funding (collected from the Feds on our behalf).

3. A roundabout has been proposed for the intersection of 130 and Orchidland Drive.
A roundabout has been proposed for the intersection of 130 and Orchidland Drive.
-----------
Let's hope that they do a better job at this one, than at Ainaloa.
Does anyone know what is being built at the corner of HWY 130 and Aulii ? 

Years ago a KTA was proposed for part of the property. If I remember correctly it’s a 3 acre site?  I looked into opening a business behind the proposed KTA, but the county wanted me to pay $250,000 for a turn lane and stop light.  Sorry, I don’t have any updated info, but the owner at that time was willing to build to suit, so it could be one or several businesses, with entrance from Aulii.

ADDED:
The owner of the lot at that time was Mohammed Yunis.  His daughter was a real estate agent.
"A roundabout has been proposed for the intersection of 130 and Orchidland Drive."

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Goldilocks effect -
- the first one in Pahoa is a bit too big
- the second one at Ainaloa is way too small
- can we hope that the one at OL/130 will be just right ? ( I know, only true in folk and fairy tales )
Years ago a KTA was proposed for part of the property. If I remember correctly it’s a 3 acre site?

Three conjoined OLE 1-acre lots. It is "entirely possible" that the KTA was not a "sincere" proposal, but a strawman designed to elicit reaction from County. If I recall correctly, this was before Puna Kai actually broke ground.
If I recall correctly, this was before Puna Kai actually broke ground.

Yes, long before.  Maybe 15 years ago?  Plus or minus multiple years.