Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Former POTUS wears no mask while seemingly standing in Hawaii restaurant
Have the rules changed?  Maybe they consider that to be outdoors?  I'm sure there is a good explanation.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/01/31...aii-visit/     <<<<

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Keep it local  Heart
Under 10 people indoors has been allowed for a long time.
They may have closed the restaurant to the public while his party ate there.  It’s not unusual for a restaurant to do that for celebrities or in this case a high profile person with a secret service contingent.
(After the OJ Simpson verdict he immediately flew to Maui, and bought out all the seats at a high end restaurant for the evening.)
Thanks for that info HOTPE.  However, it does not explain the circumstances of the photo where apparently the staff and customers are jammed up together in an extremely tight group with no masks.  Or am I misunderstanding you?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Keep it local  Heart
apparently the staff and customers are jammed up together

I don't know the details of the dinner, whether it was a private party for the Obamas and their entourage, or if they ate in public with other diners.

But, if, it was a private party and no other members of the general public were in the restaurant, the Obamas their guests, restaurant staff, etc were probably below the new indoor limits.  If their presence was considered an "event" in a business setting, masks are required.  If it was "dinner" most restaurants that I've been to in Hawaii this past year require a mask to enter, and exit.  I generally don't wear a mask the entire time I'm seated at my table. 

For a quick photo, after you've already been sitting in the establishment for an hour or two?  With people who've touched your plates and silverware and glasses?   I'll leave that to those who read the fine print.
Rules for thee, not for me.
Looks like it was all family to me. Obama has Indonesian relatives.
(01-31-2022, 09:42 PM)Rob Tucker Wrote: Looks like it was all family to me.  Obama has Indonesian relatives.
& the article confirms it was family & a friend (why did the OP assume it was waitstaff?)
"The Obamas dined at Island Vintage Wine Bar at the Royal Hawaiian Center on Sunday night. They were joined by Obama’s sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, her family, and friend Bobby Titcomb."
& for a reminder of the diversity in one family (how quickly some forget!)
"In Obama's extended family, there are many mixed marriages, encompassing white, black, Indonesian and Chinese-Canadian."
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor...d=94065160
why did the OP assume it was waitstaff?) - Carey

It's a fair question and you deserve an answer.  In my defense I did qualify with "apparently", "seemingly" and "I'm sure there is a good explanation", because I was (and still am) not sure at all what I was seeing.   The angle of the article with the quotes from the owner of the establishment about being nervous all day, and for some reason the smiles and shakas, did cause me to think that there might be staff in the photo.

Regardless, it could have been presented more Grace fully and I accept and will internalize your constructive criticism.  Mahalo Carey.
Keep it local  Heart
If was as dangerous as the tv tells you, then why do all these, and I mean all public officials keep getting caught not following the advice and rules that they demand you follow.

Maybe because its not as dangerous.
And maybe they have been following the rules. I would be very surprised if Obama's family attending the dinner was not fully vaccinated and tested.