Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kennel recommendation for boarding dogs
Deutschland is beckoning Frau Chunkster and me for a summer visit, and we need to board our two dogs for about three weeks.  One is 13 and takes four medications, so it's not just a simple feed and take outside that a neighbor could do.  We'd like them to be kept together and have an indoor space with plenty of outside access.  I did a search here on Punaweb, and the information was really dated, so I'm asking for current recommendations in Puna and the Hilo vicinity.  Thanks!
The only place I'm aware of is Bar-King kennels in OLE. We've never boarded our dogs there but we have taken puppies there for their training classes. Wherever you choose make sure you ask them what their vaccination requirements are and if they need a negative fecal exam so you can plan any necessary vet visits prior to dropping them off. Don't want any surprises the morning of your trip.

https://www.barkingdogkennel.net/dog-boarding
I've boarded my dogs and cats at Bar-King Dog many times over many years and can recommend them highly. A few tips to keep in mind:

- Go and look at the types of kennels they have. Most are the same size, but differ whether they see the cars driving up, hear the people in the office, or are more secluded. Given enough lead time, you can select for what's best for your guys. Depending on the size of your dogs, they can be either in the same kennel, or adjacent to each other.

- If your dogs have never been in a kennel before, I really strongly suggest bringing them there for a night or two a bit before any lengthy stay. In my experience, dogs in particular get anxious if they feel they've been abandoned. If they spend some time there, get acquainted with the caregivers, and then you pick them up, the next time you bring them they will spend their time 'waiting', instead of getting depressed or freaking out.

- Even though the kennel charges included food, I've always brought what my guys were used to eating, especially once they got old. They serve good quality food, but having what my guys were familiar with and used to helped prevent any eating or digestive issues.

- Both for an early 'get acquainted' stay, and for their extended stay, bring a towel, t-shirts, or something that has your scent, that can be kept in the kennel with them. It's a comfort.

-The people that work there are really good with animals, but don't always have the best people/computer skills. Be patient. When I had to kennel one of my dogs post-surgery, I went to visit at an odd time, and found one of the staff sitting in an adjacent kennel just loving on a dog because she had been there for over a week and was lonely.

- My ( now ) 25 year old cat is also on medications, and they've been very good about making sure she takes them on time without freaking her out. (And what I mentioned before about selecting which particular kennel is best suited, they know with out asking that she needs an end site with an electrical outlet to plug in her heating pad.)

I hope your trip goes well. It is on my list of things to do once covid calms down: to go up and down Germany - one way would be beer and sausage, and the other would be wine and schnitzel. Good travels to you.
Great post. I would have never even thought of most of those things.
Thanks, terracore and Punaperson! Bar-King sounds like a great place, and I checked out their website and got even more details. Any other recommendations?
If you happen to be flying out of Kona, we boarded at Lucky D Kennel (off the upper road just above airport). Our dogs had 1/3 grassy fenced lot to themselves, a cabin with off-the-floor trampoline style beds. I was very happy with the experience.
Outstanding post PunaPerson!

It is early but you've got my nomination for post of the year thus far.
Thank you for the kind words. I hope it helps anyone who is needing the info.  Knowing my 4-legged family is safe and being well taken care of lets me enjoy my vacations without that bit of worry in the back of my brain.

Several people who know me said I should explain why I kennel my animals instead of having a friend/neighbor take care of them.  Pre-covid, I was lucky enough to go on several dive trips a year, usually lasting for 10-14 days at a time.  My friends, who were known and accepted by my dogs, would come daily to feed them - until one time they had major family emergency .  Even though they tried to get other mutual neighbors/friends to feed my guys, my dogs,  being the great protectors they are, wouldn't let anyone walk down the driveway, or get out of their cars if they  tried to come that way.  My dogs, protecting their/our home,  went almost 60 hours without food, until the family emergency was taken care of, and people they accepted were able to come back again.  Now I kennel my guys, and have my friends/neighbors check my house daily, keeping the driveway looking well used, checking phone messages, and all the other things that keep the house from looking empty.
Yeah, it's so nice to hear sensible, well thought out, comprehensible posts from one of our respected members of the forum.

Makes me long for the "good old days", before the sh*t show of the latest crew of know it alls on here.
I want to post a special "danke" to Punaperson for one of the most helpful and well thought out posts I've ever seen here. I'm taking all your points very seriously, particularly the short stay and return home before the long one. Golden advice!