Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feel like you are being priced off the island?

1. Property taxes this year went through the roof. Our 700 sf house in Ocean View went from $44,800 in 2006 to $57,900 in 2007 to $96,800 in 2008. All this increase even though our home was purchased for $204,000 in 2006 and we would be DAMN lucky to get $170,000 right now.

2. Our home owners insurance on our little 700 sf house went up over $400.00 this year to a whopping $1427.00. We are forced to have $15,000 worth of insurance for "other structures". There is no other structure however they will not remove that insurance

3. Helco increases its rates every month it seems, Tiny home with solar outdoor lights, solar hot water heater, propane stove, no clothes dryer and 2 crazed energy misers, $90 to $130 a month. We all know Helco will not be lowering their rates this fall when fuel prices go down.

Everyone talks about gas prices and food prices but you can manage those by driving less and growing more food / eating cheaper. You can't manage insurance, property taxes and the evil Helco.

I wonder who will work at the farms, stores, car lots, hotels, restaurants etc when only the truly rich can afford to live here. How much will our taxes go up when the tourists disappear due to high fuel costs and restrictive airline policies and tourism stops paying the bulk of our taxes? And most importantly, who will buy our home when we have to move and no one can afford to live here anymore.

This is getting spooky.
Dang dude... you just bought in 2006 and are already thinking of bailing?

I guess the dogs keeping you awake play into the part huh? J/K!

But dirk... seriously...

Did you really plan things out before you came here?

I hear of so many people joining Punaweb asking for this glorified answer of what Puna and Hawaii is about.... but then when we give them honest answers.... they don't often believe what we are saying.

LIVING IN HAWAII is different then VACATIONING in HAWAII!

Here is my warning to all those planning on moving to the Big Island from the mainland.... Have at least $40,000 saved up and a round trip ticket back home....SERIOUSLY.

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.
$40,000?! That's enough for nothing. I have lived here for almost 20 years and keep seeing this place going down the drain. Go West young man, go West. [Smile]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Damon,
Here we go again, you seem to be good or maybe bad at this.

Did you read my post? Where did I say I was bailing? Read first, get a understanding, then post or not post.
What I said is when The state taxes, insurance agencies, and Helco price everyone off the island who will be here to buy my house because I will obviously be moving too.

I guess I need to be more clear. What is Hawaii's plan for having the most elite neighborhood in the world and no one left to work it because everyone else has been priced off the island?
And where did I say "you were bailing"?

I said it sounds like your "thinking of bailing" [Wink]

-------
Who wants to work in the elite neighborhood anyway? We are busy fishing, pig hunting and growing gardens. We have food, why do we want to work?

It is gonna get beyond spooky and coming your way real soon. Have you looked at the numbers of available airline seats lately? Down by a hefty amount and they say it will be even less next year. There goes tourism!

November '05 was about the peak of the real estate market wasn't it? I'm figuring somewhere around third quarter of '10 to be the trough, but that's just a guess. It does this sort of thing and it will probably continue to do it but what with the peak oil thing going along with the sub-prime it may be worse than usual.

This island will probably just get spooky, if you really want to try living dangerously, try Oahu. If the barges stop, they can't feed themselves.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
quote:
Originally posted by Hotzcatz

Who wants to work in the elite neighborhood anyway? We are busy fishing, pig hunting and growing gardens. We have food, why do we want to work?......

This island will probably just get spooky, if you really want to try living dangerously, try Oahu. If the barges stop, they can't feed themselves.

Hallelujah!

I've only been back on the Big Island for about a month now....but I have so forgotten the rat race I left on Oahu!

I'm still trying to "calm down, relax, and remember... Big Island is not Oahu!"

-------
quote:
Originally posted by dirk1609

1. Property taxes this year went through the roof. Our 700 sf house in Ocean View went from $44,800 in 2006 to $57,900 in 2007 to $96,800 in 2008. All this increase even though our home was purchased for $204,000 in 2006...

Just for clarification, dirk, you paid $204,000 for a piece of property on which you're paying taxes based on an appraised value of $96,800? I'm not sure I see the problem here...

If you bought the property for $204,000, then appraised value went up to $250,000 while the market value fell to maybe $170,000, then I could see a problem.

What am I missing? Not throwing stones, just want to understand the property tax issue.

Aloha! ;-)
Aloha! ;-)
Actually I've found it very cheap to live here, if one lives in reflection of the place itself.
quote:
Originally posted by JWFITZ

Actually I've found it very cheap to live here, if one lives in reflection of the place itself.

I gotta agree I find it "Not so Bad" here.
Lets see NJ 1600 SF house RE taxes $11K
Hawaiian Beaches 1400SF house RE taxes lets just say very very low

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....