Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astronomy in Hawaii Pau?
https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/05/legisl...pay-bills/

"Inouye, a Big Island senator whose district includes Mauna Kea, said the bill is redundant because the University of Hawaii and the Center for Maunakea Stewardship already help to manage the mountain and its resources.

She said that UH officials worried that the university would become a “lame duck landlord” during the five-year transition period to the new management authority proposed in the bill. She also said there were some concerns in the astronomy community that the bill could halt the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope.  She questioned how much the new authority would actually support astronomy, and called the bill a “Trojan Horse.”

Inouye was almost entirely alone in her opposition.“If this bill is a Trojan Horse, then I’m afraid to report that Troy is already on fire,” Sen. Jarret Keohokalole said.
He maintained that the status quo on Mauna Kea may only continue to threaten the future of astronomy on the mountain. In 2015 and 2019, mass protests halted construction of the TMT."
Perhaps you missed this thread?

https://punaweb.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=22678
Actually, I don't miss it at all. Besides, this thread clearly espouses a different point of view.
Right, so if there's a different point of view on a subject, even if it's someone else's, it requires a new thread? That's nuts but understood.
I think most discussions are pau when they get to Punaweb and don’t meet with the approval of a small group of bigots who run the place.
eVeRyThInG i dOnT aGrEe WiTh iS nUtS
small group of bigots who run the place.

Come for the meaningful discussion and alternate points of view.
Stay for the insults and accusations.
Good times.
Lol pot calling the kettle black?
pot calling the kettle

There are observations, some warranted, some unfounded.  Then there is name calling.
The later: pot smoker calling the kettle black. Or racist haole calling the kettle black.
(05-08-2022, 03:38 PM)HawaiiEV Wrote: I think most discussions are pau when they get to Punaweb and don’t meet with the approval of a small group of bigots who run the place.

I think the only person who runs PW is Rob unless you think it's all a conspiracy and there's some sort of cartel running the place. But that often happens when people think that debate can't allow more than one view, and then they lash out with labels and insults when they're unable to defend their point of view.