Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar water for every home....
I think you might agree with me that about half our electric bill is to heat water.
And the demand and cost of producing and delivering electric power to all their customers is getting harder and harder for Helco.
I propose that they start a program to finance a contractor installed solar water system and let folks pay a monthly payment included in their regular electric bill.
There is such a program for heat pumps in Oklahoma.
In other words, say the system payment would be $50 per month but you would use $50 less of electricity, which might even be a conservative figure.
I think it would be a win, win situation.
My take is there should be some sort of tax credit (against property taxes mabey?). Of course, this may end up being market driven anyway seeing as how electric rates are the highest of any state. HELCO shouldn't be a part of it. They are not going to implement a program free-of-charge are they?
Isn't there some sort of state tax credit for solar in Hawaii?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
There are both State of Hawaii and Federal tax credits available upon installation of solar water heating systems. Main requirement is that the system MUST be installed by a HELCO approved and certified company and that the backup water heater must be electric.
The financing for the heatpump systems in Oklahoma was provided through the electric company, being more lieniant on the requirements. I think the debt would stay with the house until paid. I think the initial cost or ability to obtain credit for the system might be a problem with many. But I think if you were a good customer with the electric company, thats how they would determine.
Its the initial cost upfront that is an obsticale to many. (I need a spell check[xx(])
Really, I am just guesstimating?
You can buy this Device that can determine how much individual appliances actually suck up energy.

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.
Or just take cold showers for a month and see if your electric bill is cut in half.....

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
we have solar hot water (new) and our bill is still high. Without it we would be paying more, for sure, but I don't think it's half. But then I do things like run lights, washer, dryer, frig, dishwasher, and a pond pump, plus two computers and peripherals. Hot water is only one of my power consumptions.
I saw a special on this topic. The military in Oahu installed solar for there facility and they said that 30% of your bill is the hot water heater. The govt. did a study on it.

Jade
We have turned OFF the water heater for a few months now, and turn it on for a hour or so when we want ( or need ) a bath. The bill has dropped a lot maybe $40-$75 per month. We do not use or need a dryer, but we do have a freezer. Lights are all fluorescent. Bill now runs $120-140 per month.