Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Hawaiians In Las Vegas, On the Mainland
Their are more Native Hawaiians on the mainland than in Hawaii.  The reason in the article linked below is given as affordable housing and jobs.  Especially in Vegas.  
The writer focuses on Oahu and Oahu's cost of living but for some reason doesn't mention housing prices in Puna or Ka'u.  Or why there are no jobs available in Puna or Ka'u (business taxes, state and county strangulation of potential businesses, local people protesting and fighting against businesses that would offer them jobs).  It also fails to mention DHHL and their mandate to place Native Hawaiians on Hawaiian Homelands which coincidentally are conveniently located here in Hawaii, and have the potential to keep Hawaiian people here in the islands.  And how policies of DHHL make affordable housing impossible for the very people they are set up to serve.

In 2021, there were about 309,800 Native Hawaiians in Hawaii and about 370,000 in other states.
https://www.krqe.com/news/business/ap-na...le-living/
So the only way to fix this is for Hawaii to....

Legalize gambling and cannabis?

I read an article a few years ago, I think it was in the Hawaiian Airlines magazine but I can't be certain of that. It called Bend, Oregon "the 10th island" or something similar. I can't find the exact article but this one has similar vibe:

https://www.bendbulletin.com/lifestyle/h...b09b5.html
It's kind of an American traditional to move away from home and across the country in search of good jobs, a place that fits your ideals, etc.
(01-23-2023, 03:38 AM)randomq Wrote: It's kind of an American traditional to move away from home and across the country in search of good jobs, a place that fits your ideals, etc.

I have a bit of an issue with that statement. It's not an American-only tradition, it's worldwide and very common in Europe and Asia for example. I also wonder why I meet so many people here that have never left the state. I also see the same thing on the mainland. Traveling out of their state is a big thing, let alone traveling abroad.

I don't think you can call it a tradition.
Tom, i think you forgot to add American to you post since you just described others doing exactly the tradition RQ describes.
(01-23-2023, 07:43 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:Tom, i think you forgot to add American to you post since you just described others doing exactly the tradition RQ describes.

Yes, as I said, it's not only an American tradition. What's your point?
Bend, Oregon is not affordable in any way, anymore. Maybe 20 years ago.

If I were looking to escape Hawaiian prices I'd be looking at the deep south. I lived in SC for a few years and don't miss much about it, but I miss my $900 mortgage.
(01-23-2023, 04:30 PM)dobanion Wrote: Bend, Oregon is not affordable in any way, anymore. Maybe 20 years ago.

Yeah I thought that was strange too.  A friend of mine lives there and cost of living is comparable to Oahu, he sent me a picture of the Bend McDonalds sign advertising $18/hour to start.  But I guess a lot of people who identify as working or living "in Bend" could actually be living in a nearby town where it's cheaper and can commute.  Something that's a little harder to do for someone on Oahu.
What about???
If we create jobs in areas of Hawaii with relatively affordable housing?  So Native Hawaiians don't feel they have to move away?  If Native Hawaiians have the wherewithal to get on a plane and move to the mainland, uprooting themselves from home and family, starting over from scratch, pul;ling themselves up by their bootstraps, that certainly indicates they are capable and employable by businesses that could/should exist in Puna for example.  If businesses on the mainland will hire them, they could be valuable employees if given the oportunity here.  

Or, what about if DHHL puts Native Hawaiians on a piece of land where one member of the family could farm, grow food, raise cattle, and perhaps another member could work part time?  A large enough piece of land with room for a small extended family.  Don't yoiu think DHHL could make that happen if someone made them make that happen?  Keep the overhead low, without wide paved roads, curbs, gutters, fiber optic cables, and simplify the building code for homesteads, which will lower construction costs.
I have seen politicians call for affordable housing my entire life. It never, ever, materializes, at least, not the affordable part. Either the developers realize there isn't any money in the venture and abandon it, or they finish and need to "upscale" the project to pay back the costs. In the end, it's just the same housing, at the same rate for the area as before.

As for why DHHL can't just give some raw land away to native Hawaiian's and let them build (at least helping them out on the land costs), I still don't understand. So much out there just sitting, unused, unowned, and unavailable.