• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honolulu’s proposed land use ordinance raising concerns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF67IWPuW0M

Honolulu’s proposed land use ordinance raising concerns

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/honolul...-concerns/

-3 acres minimum to own horses

-Ownership of roosters no longer legal

-Number of hens that can privately be owned limited based on lot size
I suppose the regulation applying to horses is aimed at their well being rather than any adverse effects they present to a neighborhood? As a person with no knowledge of their needs/care it's not my place to comment on that.

With the roosters, it seems fair to allow persons to keep one if they're raising these birds for food production. Otherwise I hate the fawkers and would like to see a lot fewer of them around. Lazy neighbors failing to cull their numbers commonly creates a noise nuisance.
Former Puna councilwoman and one term wonder Eileen Ohara committed political suicide by proposing a rooster ban here in Hawaii County. I am also not a fan of either the noise or the blood sport behind it, but effective enforcement of existing laws would probably be a better approach. Yeah, like that's going to happen.
I'd offer that somewhere between 1-2 roosters and 100+ of them could be a good limit. The blood sport itself is illegal, why not address those individuals who are obviously raising them for such? You know the ones, with dozens and dozens of those little metal a-frames in the front yard.
Raising roosters is a legitimate agricultural activity with cultural undertones. There will be no enforcement.

Anyone remember the big cockfight bust a month or so ago? Media mentioned lots of firearms charges, but no animal cruelty.
Oh yeah I heard about that. Only people arrested were those that had coincidental evidence of crime on them when searched. So, illegal possession of firearms and drugs (meth and coke).

They said it was like 800 people or something in Kealakekua in one place. Biggest event of the year.
I can hear defense attorneys now, "your honor, if we start punishing young men like my client for a few dead chickens, where will that lead? With the thousands of equally dead chickens that move through our grocery stores every day, why not arrest workers in the meat department at KTA?  Or Safeway?  Or grocery store customers on the way out the door!  And may I add, huli huli chicken is an island cultural tradition.  At least my client's roosters were given a fighting chance to live another day."

Police recovered approximately 14 live chickens and chicken boxes, extensive cockfighting paraphernalia, four dead chickens, three unregistered loaded pistols, ammunition, and a loaded .22 caliber long rifle from the premises. Police also seized small amounts of cocaine and marijuana, as well as $8,000 in US currency and two pickup trucks for forfeiture.

https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2023/...ealakekua/
The limpest slap on the wrist that I have ever seen. And the fibbies were involved as well?

Without any big boy charges, this event will be back and maybe that is by design
Blood sport events with 800 people is organized crime. It's gambling, drugs, weapons, and probably human trafficking all in one event. The fact that the FBI was involved means its probable that local law enforcement was in on it in some way.

But don't worry, those little A-frame houses are just for "show birds". If it was for anything else, why would the USPS still be shipping them?
Hmmmm, nice angle. I wonder if that dog hunts...