Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
RetroVitalizing Seaview Estates
.    In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I didn't like hippies very much even when I was one.  But now that they're getting government grants to hold far-out love-in festivals, it seems to have become a sustainable lifestyle.

Saturday's First Annual Resilience Hub Red Road Resource Fair -- partly sponsored by Revitalize Puna funds and held at Space in Seaview Estates -- was a jam-packed bash meant to mitigate the damage done by the lava flow five years ago.  There were a dozen tables with brochures promoting wellness, empowerment, and private enterprises, but no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find any revitalization.  To the contrary, it was like regressing back to the 60's.  There were beads, beards, dreadlocks, sandals, and sheer garments that revealed far too much.  But one thing that was notably lacking was locals.

This was advertised as an event to learn about resources and make plans for disaster preparedness that included resource booths and discussions, but the music was so loud that holding a conversation was impossible unless you moved into the far corners of the fairground.  But, hey, the day was way too groovy to be wasted on accomplishing anything, anyhow.

There was an astonishing amount of food being ladled out to the masses, but since the line stretched all the way to the property line, it was inaccessible for over-the-hill gimps like me.  But everybody else seemed to be happily scarfing down on a meal provided by Kilauea Eruption Recover funds, so it was probably pretty good.

I didn't find anybody to discuss plans for creating ocean recreation areas in Puna with, but I did figure out something:  Next time one of these be-ins are held, I'm going to show up tripping on mushrooms.

Cowabunga, Dudes!
Check out the Revitalize Puna events. While endlessly frustrating, you at least have people trying to take action about concrete matters like getting roads rebuilt, restoring the boat ramp at Pohoiki, etc. County reps are there for you to put pressure on and itʻs a good mix of Puna residents. Best of all, there is nary a sound healing booth anywhere.
But…but…but….the drum circles!!
Here is the information from the County's recovery site about what the grant was to be used for :

- Hawai‘i’s Volcano Circus will be focusing on aligning their permits and land use status to better reflect the role they play in community, restructure their organization’s HR function to build capacity, and draft a 2-5 year plan to achieve goals in infrastructure, capacity, fundraising and programming.

They also got this grant on 2021 :

Hawai‘i’s Volcano Circus will expand its gardening program to offer four, six-week sessions on permaculture and gardening to the larger Seaview community and establish a tree-tending/harvest program. Grant amount: $20,000.
 I didn't find anybody to discuss plans for creating ocean recreation areas in Puna 

If you're talking about a boat ramp, I'm not sure how receptive vegan hippies would be to providing access for fish slaughter and desecration of the sea.  You might get a good recipe for tofu ahi though.
"restructure their organization’s HR function to build capacity"

That piece of fluff would sound like BS for a corporate or government entity, nevermind a tiny hippie enclave. "Focusing on aligning" and "drafting" are also nice noncommittal wordings. Our tax dollars at work!
I thought the Volcano Circus monkeys were already discredited for their illegal jungalows on public lands. Or is this a different circus with different monkeys?
Mushrooms? Nah, pakalolo would be best for that kinda scene. No wonder you didn't enjoy being a hippie.
I'm all for immersing yourself in the local culture but do we still need to call it 'crazy weed' instead of cannabis?
(04-02-2023, 01:34 PM)AaronM Wrote: I'm all for immersing yourself in the local culture but do we still need to call it 'crazy weed' instead of cannabis?
Call it what you wish.  I think pakalolo is an appropriate, agreeable word, even if translated literally which isn't really necessary. 

A good friend in HS who happened to be an avid user called it wacky tobacky. 

And of course we all remember this exchange from Animal House:  I won't go schizowill I? - There's a distinct possibility-