Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bamboo harvesting
Aloha, everyone!

Does anybody know of a good place to harvest bamboo for building purposes. Nothing crazy, just some simple latticework for the garden, etc.

My husband has it in his head that he can just drive up to Mt. View and start chopping away at that forest of the running bamboo along the highway. I've heard so many people warning against that kind of thing that I'd like to find him an alternative before he gets beaten senseless. [B)] Then other people tell him that it's fine, nobody cares. Any ideas? We're growing our own bamboo, but it'll be a few years before it's ready to use.

Thanks for your advice!
Nobody likes a "ripper". Better you find a source and ask permission.
Yes, Greg, we agree with you and would rather not upset anyone or have any nasty confrontations. A little bamboo isn't worth it.

I just thought that if anyone knew of a source or had some bamboo they were looking to get rid of, it might satisfy my husband's "needs". He's a bit of a bamboo freak. The Bamboob, we call him.
PW member Nalu has some up Mt. View that he offered in a previous thread. Don't know if the offer is still good.

When I typed in Bamboo at the Search engine using just "Subjects" option, I came across quite a few Bamboo related threads.

Welcome back to Punaweb kelli [Wink]

-------
HMMKT
Gosh, now how silly do I look to have not searched "bamboo" before posting? I guess initially I was looking to have people post a whole bunch of scary stories that I could use to keep my husband from trekking off with his machete. But I have now searched for those threads and am thrilled to see that I might have found some safer sources of his favorite building material.

Many, many thanks!
Kelli
The section of N. Glenwood Rd about 400 yards from the highway is rife with bamboo available for cutting. We here in the neighborhood call it the Bamboo Forest and I can assure you that the absentee owners are happy to have people cut down whatever they like of this nuisance plant.

Smile
Pak

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Aloha, Pam,
Thanks for the info. I had heard similar from another friend in that neighborhood, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to double-check... Much appreciation,
Kelli