Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will the Billionaires Step Up ??
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/...ates-maui/

If ever there was put money where mouth is, this is it.
Yes, they are.
(08-11-2023, 10:38 PM)Durian Fiend Wrote: Yes, they are.
If I had two and a half billion dollars I would do a lot more than buy pillows for the shelters, which is what Oprah did.  I hope she spends a few million more.
Just read that Jeff Bezos "and his fiancee" are donating 100M.
(08-12-2023, 01:47 AM)Kiana Wrote: Just read that Jeff Bezos "and his fiancee" are donating 100M.

That's about 0.06% of his net worth.  I suspect there are Punawebers that have donated more than that, and will go out on a limb and estimate that less than 0.06% of us have a $78M mansion on Maui like Jeff.

But good on him for stepping up.  And also for Oprah handing out those pillows.
I'm sure each of "Hawaii connected" ultra rich will eventually belly up to the bar with some sort of financial help for Maui in due time.

One way Bezos could help all of Hawaii, while at the same time vastly improve his Hawaii customer base, would be to offer FREE SHIPPING TO HAWAII for say a year or two. That could be putting some real rubber to the road in terms of real help to a hell of a lot of people.

As for Oprah, well she is on the ground in the immediate doing something - albeit seemingly a small gesture at the moment, but she is doing something. And given her notoriety, sometimes people in crises need a familiar face that can lend an ear, smile and shed a tear and if that makes the victims feel better even for a short time, it's well worth it. At least she was not just tossing paper towels into a crowd and shuttling back off to the mainland.

And one way the people of Maui can help themselves even more is to make sure the outpouring of financial help does not get pissed away in scandalous greed and corruption by a few select as we see time and time again in these ultra disaster moments that allows Maui to come back stronger than ever - for the locals - the tourists - and even Oprah and Jeff.
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
That's about 0.06% of his net worth. I suspect there are Punawebers that have donated more than that, and will go out on a limb and estimate that less than 0.06% of us have a $78M mansion on Maui like Jeff.
------------------
Anyone here going to donate more than the value of one of their homes?
I copied this from FB and did not remove the bits and pieces. I think this was from someone else's page and not Oprah's.
Thought it was worth pasting here.
You all called she came! What’s good? ???? 8-10-23 #Breaking
Maui Resident Oprah Winfrey, stopped by the shelter in Wailuku. She asked what the need was and she’s going to supply! Mahalo Oprah! ❤️ #maui #lahaina #oprah #lahainafire #giveback #aloha PC Tracy Morales c/o @kakoo_haleakala
(08-12-2023, 02:48 PM)leilanidude Wrote: That's about 0.06% of his net worth.  I suspect there are Punawebers that have donated more than that, and will go out on a limb and estimate that less than 0.06% of us have a $78M mansion on Maui like Jeff.
------------------
Anyone here going to donate more than the value of one of their homes?

I suspect most people posting here only own or rent one home and can't afford to donate more than their home is worth.
I probably could have made my post more clear focusing on the 0.06% and less on the value of his Maui mansion (a smaller portion in his $600 million worth of known properties).

Unfortunately, a lot of people are underwater on their homes from taking out extra mortgages and don't have any real "net worth", so virtually any donation can exceed 0.06% really quick.

A lot of of people are donating their time and/or taking strangers into their homes. That's worth more than money in my book.