Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
with nothing better to do
Police are cracking down on roadside vendors on state and county roads.

"While law enforcement recognizes the value and appeal of local vendors in enhancing the vibrant culture of the Big Island, police believe it is essential to maintain order and consistency in public spaces."

I guess they must have gotten all the drunks off the road and are bored.
"I guess they must have gotten all the drunks off the road and are bored."

That as well as putting a complete end to the almost daily threats of violence at our schools!
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
If you want to do business on the big island you gotta pay big rent! Can't have you indentured workers creating your own opportunities...
This is a tough one. I've bought ahi along the highway...but at some point safety dictates a change in speed limit. Then we want the old speed limit back. Is it a highway or not? Where does the malasada stand end and the highway begin? Pet pigs on highway?
Iʻve never heard of accidents or problems because of the vendors. Like everything else, what are we willing to give up to be "safe"? BTW you can contact the mayorʻs office at https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/our-county/...d-concerns
I have seen far more politicians and their supporters out in the road, slowing traffic, distracting drivers than any vendor ever does.

But I suppose politicians get a professional courtesy from the P.D.
I saw the original announcement when it came out, and I don't understand it now and didn't when it was first posted. I don't know what maintaining order and consistency means when it comes to street vendors. If they are actually on the highway, yes, they should be stopped, but they are often way off the highway and cause no problem at all. And as HOTPE mentioned, I've seen local politicians and their supporters cause way more problems on the highways than street vendors. I don't understand why this is now been given priority. What's next, a ban on kid's lemonade stands?
Consider that a farmers' market collects rent and keeps all the vendors in one place where their tax status can be easily audited.

It's not about "safety" at all.
A simple matter that someone that is connected, or a council member his/her self, felt certain vendors were adversely effecting their business. This person raised a stink which got passed on to the chief and a blanket enforcement occurs. There will likely be extra special enforcement at that location. The patrol officers are probably not in agreement but will have to demonstrate they are making an effort at enforcement. I have no first had knowledge but that's the way it works. It could also just be that some connected person was involved in an incident that he/she thought a vendor adversely affected the situation and complained to their connected person. Or even a simpler explanation is that the connected person got in a spat with a street vendor and complained about the dangers vendors create.

I seriously doubt the police came up with this enforcement idea on their own.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
It originated with the Dept. of Transportation. My suspicion is that the original offending party will be booted, probably for the reasons you mentioned and then in a few months it will quietly go away. I hope.