Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all nasty-rash experts
[Smile]
In the last couple of weeks, I've seen so much great advice given on everything from avocados to albizia and surf spots to solar power. Now I need info on a skin rash.

My brother, who has had a whole range of interesting new health problems while living in this tropical paradise, has got a crazy rash and I was hoping someone could identify it or suggest some relief... Bro is going nuts with the itching and feels embarrassed to be seen in public. (So having me post on this forum will probably thrill him.[Wink])

A maybe important piece of info: The rash started up a few hours after swimming at Kapoho tidepools. I hate to even bring that up, because we love that place dearly and have been there many times without adverse effects, but after hunting around for possible causes, it seems like rashes like this sometimes show up (if they are "swimmer's itch") after swimming in water that might have some sewage contamination. According to the signs there, that might be the case.
The symptoms (which we've Googled and think *might* be "swimmer's itch"):
-not contagious

-rash started on arms, torso

-started as small, pimple- or blister-like red spots, would ooze a bit if squeezed

-apparently, they itched like crazy!

-spread pretty quickly into a more generalized red rash

-in the morning, his eyes were all puffy, red, swollen

-went to the doc, they didn't know, gave him allergy meds and steroids, said his body was "reacting to something"

-rash went away for a few days, but then after a couple of days sweating in the sun at work and a couple of dips into the ocean, it flared up again- worse this time

-rash spread some, to new area on legs, eyes swollen for a few days

-went back to a different doc who didn't know either, gave some more meds (the same stuff but stronger doses)

-my brother reports that the itching is going to drive him out of his mind, it's now been about a week since the recurrance

-eyes are better now, rash is still raging

-sun, heat, sweat all make rash worse

-every time he barely scratches his hand/arm/whereever, a whole new crop of itchy red bumps crop up

-hydrocortizone creams offer some temporary relief, same as baking soda paste, calamine lotion, but judging by the constant cursing and squirming I would guess that it's still pretty itchy.

Anyway, like I said, we thought "swimmer's itch" but that's only supposed to last for a week, he's now going on about 12 or 13 days and is freaking out that it's not improving.
SOOOOOOO... anybody have any insights that might help?
Many, many, many thanks!
-Kelli
See a dermatologist; if you can't find one I can check to see who my neighbor just saw.

General Pract/Family practice physicians are good for a start but they will all do the same generic treatment for a skin rash: steroids and antihistamines (usually cortisone cream and benadryl).

Brother needs to go to the next step.

I am a nurse but not licensed here in Hawaii so I have to be careful what I do, however, I do feel strongly that you need to seek a higher level of experience to deal with this miserable skin problem.

Aloha Pam.

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Find a coconut...

Get the White "meat" of the coconut....

Squeeze the meat to create a coconut oil....

Use the Oil to help with rash and itches...

Hope this helps.

-------
It is the way... the way it is.
May have been the monstera that is near by (depending on where you went in pond).

Did your brother get into some plant material where there might have been a nettle caterpillar? Rash sounds like what friends got who contacted the caterpillars while working in the yard. Rash came and went and came and went again. Took weeks to go away completely. Itched like crazy. The caterpillars are small, so they are not always seen, but their effect is toxic!
I just had a rash just like this after swimming in a pond in Hamakua. I found out there is an introduced species of plant called rubbervine. It gives you a rash very similar to poison ivy or oak. There is no cure, but maybe he accidentally touched this plant as I did. My rash took nearly a month to completely go away. My symptoms were identical to the ones you mentioned.

Chris
Chris
Generally rashes are caused by a variety of things but these things are basically one of three groups. You have your rashes caused by some sort if irritant such as poison ivy (which we don't have here) or mango juice, fiberglass dust, guinea grass hairs, etc. If it is that sort of rash, about all you can do is the hydrocortisone cream or coco butter to make it feel better until it heals. Wash in cold water with soap to get the irritant off the skin and then use the soothing creams while the skin continues to cleanse itself. Also try to determine what the irritant is to keep from getting any more of it on the skin.

We also get fungus rashes. Longs used to carry a salicylic sulphur soap which would knock those back. Wet the soap, rub it on the rash and leave the soap on. Within a day or two the rash would be gone. You could try medicated fungus powder or some fungus creams if you can't find the salicylic soap.

The other general cause for rashes is biotic and you could try anti-biotic cream on it. Use an anti-biotic soap such as Irish Spring, especially if you are showering in catchment water. It could be some sort of vog particles washed down into the catchment water, too. Perhaps if you know someone on county water where he could shower for awhile that might help.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Once again, the experts come through with lots of great input. :o)

Brother went to the doc again this morning, then to a dermatologist this afternoon. Both said it's some kind of crazy allergic reaction, so he got a couple new creams and just has to wait it out. He's suffering, but at least it's (hopefully) not a permanent situation.

I shared your info and he feels better thinking it's one of the plants or caterpillars - way better than the sewage crusties that I had him imagining![Big Grin]
It's a moot point now that your brother has seen a doctor, but I just wanted to pass along my experience, don't know if it applies:

When I was a kid, we'd climb the mango trees to get to the fruit. I don't know if it's the sap of the mango tree, the bark of the mango tree, or what, but we'd get terrible rashes we called "mango rash". Being kids, we'd continue to climb the trees to get the fruit.

Did your brother climb a mango tree?

Aloha! ;-)
Aloha! ;-)
Hmmm... mango tree it might be, but the only one we've got at home is about 4 feet tall, so I don't imagine he's done a lot of climbing in that one. [Wink] Maybe at work (he does lots of trail maintenance, etc.)

Good to know for the future,
Mahalo,
Kelli