Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reusable food and drinkware system for Hilo in the works
One of 4 US cities working to implement city-wide take out reuse.  Cool!

https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2023/10/16/r...n%20Agency

"To reduce waste from disposable cups, bottles and food containers in Hilo, more than $2 million was awarded to the [color=var(--wpex-link-color, var(--wpex-accent))]University of Hawaiʻi Sea Grant College Program[/color] (Hawaiʻi Sea Grant) and Hawaiʻi County Department of Environmental Management through two complementary grants from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)."
I love this!

Of course, compliance and adherence are going to be the downfall if it. Too many people only want convenience, and still have an "out of sight, out of mind" mindset. Anything that could even slightly impact their lives is far too much effort to expend.

So personally, I really do love the concept...but the eternal pessimist in me sees failure. :-(
How many of these, which do not decompose, will be on the side of the roadways?
which do not decompose

Until a few years ago, most fast food containers and implements, take-out containers were plastic and not biodegradable.  Did you worry about how many end3d upon the side of the road then?
(12-19-2023, 06:10 PM)punikahakaiferret Wrote: I love this!

Of course, compliance and adherence are going to be the downfall if it. Too many people only want convenience, and still have an "out of sight, out of mind" mindset. Anything that could even slightly impact their lives is far too much effort to expend.

So personally, I really do love the concept...but the eternal pessimist in me sees failure. :-(
Yes, of course you're right that most people's inclination will be to disparage the plan and resent the minimal extra effort to make it work.   Perhaps an option will remain for those who simply want to toss their food and beverage containers in the trash to do so.

However, this website shows that Hawaii does OK compared to other states with recycling, so there could be some hope.  
Warning:  I said "Ok, compared with other states"

https://www.ball.com/sustainability/real-circularity/50-states-of-recycling#/
In the mean time, keep a couple of your take out containers in your car to use for leftovers if you eat in the restaurant. Restaurants donʻt want to use your containers for takeout food due to (understandable) health issues. Or join Volcano Precious Plastic where for $60 a year they will recycle and use your #5 containers to make new salable items. PM me for details on this. Lastly, donʻt fall for those plastic glasses with "Eco" labels and pictures of flowers on them. They are only commercially compostable. I put one in my compost bin and six months later I took it out intact and threw it in the trash.
Certainty will be the death of us.
How many Puna kitchens will be outfitted with these reusable cups and containers? :-)

I like the idea, and remember my grandparents taking their Pepsi bottles in to be cleaned and reused. I just have some doubts about how well they will be cleaned in between uses. We like our greasy food around here...
remember my grandparents taking their Pepsi bottles 

Milk came in reusable glass bottles.
Beer too.
A&W frosty glass mugs at the drive-in.
Quick, before this thread goes off the rails.... randomq, the grant is to Hilo. Puna wonʻt be doing this.
Certainty will be the death of us.
I think it's a great idea. Gotta follow through. The restaurants will need a steady supply without interruption otherwise they'll drop the service the second it impacts their ability to sell food. Needs to be enough cans around town so people will drop the containers in them and not a trash can (or the road).

I'm sure it will be Hilo only at implementation, but I can easily see it expanding into Puna over time, at least as far as Pahoa and Volcano.