Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kona Airport Closures
Airport Notice - KOA

Hawai’i Department Of Transportation (HDOT) will be conducting overnight runway repairs at Kona International Airport (KOA) during the month of February.
The Hawai‘i Department of Transportation (HDOT) will temporarily close Runway 17-35 at the Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keāhole (KOA) for 15 consecutive nights starting from Tuesday, Feb. 13 until Tuesday, Feb. 27, between the hours of 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. There are no alternate runways at KOA, and therefore the airport will remain closed for flight operations during the nighttime runway closure period.
In the event an emergency medical evacuation is needed, helicopter service out of KOA will be available. HDOT has coordinated with the airlines and other partners to minimize impacts to flights. There are no commercial flights scheduled during the closure period.
The runway closure is needed to conduct asphalt repairs to selected areas along the runway, specifically where aircraft perform turnaround motions. The HDOT is taking this proactive measure in advance of a planned runway rehabilitation project that is expected to start in August. Please note all work is weather permitting.
Passengers are advised to check with their airlines for information specific to their flights. HDOT appreciates the public’s patience while the needed work to ensure the safe operation of KOA is conducted.

"There are no commercial flights scheduled during the closure period."

I don't think the cargo haulers would agree with that statement.
Whew!

Thanks for the heads up!

Off to Walmart to hoard rice and toilet paper before everyone else does!

(/S)
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(02-11-2024, 12:43 AM)terracore Wrote: "There are no commercial flights scheduled during the closure period."

I'm not sure what the alternative is, do you have a suggestion? Obie might have a more informed opinion, but given traffic into Kona between midnight and 6 am is very light and only consists of one long-distance UPS flight and two or three inter-island cargo flights, my guess is it's much easier for them to reschedule things for a short period. If the repairs close the airport during the day, you're dealing with several inter-island passenger flights plus those from the mainland that would affect the plans of thousands of passengers.
(02-12-2024, 08:15 AM)TomK Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 12:43 AM)terracore Wrote: "There are no commercial flights scheduled during the closure period."

I'm not sure what the alternative is, do you have a suggestion? Obie might have a more informed opinion, but given traffic into Kona between midnight and 6 am is very light and only consists of one long-distance UPS flight and two or three inter-island cargo flights, my guess is it's much easier for them to reschedule things for a short period. If the repairs close the airport during the day, you're dealing with several inter-island passenger flights plus those from the mainland that would affect the plans of thousands of passengers.

I guess the point of me pointing that out was that not all "commercial flights" involve passengers (mostly tourists).  Sometimes its cargo planes full of stuff that locals need.
Flight aware is showing no landings at KOA for the next 3 days from Midnight till 6AM.

The UPS 747 does not come to Kona everyday - it's like 3 or 4 times a week - normally arriving 3 to 4 AM. I see they are now showing it coming in tomorrow morning right at 6AM - first flight in! I don't see the flight posted for the rest of the week.

I didn't bother checking out the 3 or 4 Aloha Cargo flights.

"Sometimes its cargo planes full of stuff that locals need."

After living here 30 plus years and at times having to wait up to 3 months to get windshield washer fluid, I feel your pain!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
2/13/24 KOA Runway to open later today
The runway at the Ellison Onizuka International Airport at Keahole (KOA) will not open as planned at 6 a.m. due to equipment malfunction and asphalt cooling. If you have a flight scheduled at KOA this morning, please check with your airline before coming to the airport.
HDOT will update when the runway reopens. Current estimate is 9 a.m. We will regroup with the contractor before any nightly repairs continue.
It's now 12:00 noon. And an Alaska flight from Portland to Kona that was suppose to land at 11:30 am has been detoured to Honolulu.
As I post this, it appears from Flight Aware that most of the HNL/KOA morning flights are all cancelled. They are showing one Alaska Airlines flight from Portland being diverted to HNL. The United LAX/KOA and SFO/KOA are showing as in air but still landing at KOA around 1PM. 

I wonder who’s going to pay for this mess?
The passengers and the airlines.

Hawaiian's flight's are mostly showing delayed, one by 6 hours. 6 hours in HNL with a family would be expensive.

Southwest cancelled their flights.
Well they now show the inbound United LAX flight being diverted to OGG and the SFO flight being diverted to HNL. 

From what I’ve read about this contractor caused delay is that a truck broke down while transporting the asphalt to the runway. By the time a replacement truck was brought in, the asphalt had cooled and became unusable. Thus a new load had to be brought in. 

“We will regroup with the contractor before any nightly repairs continue.”

I’d also suggest a strongly worded letter as well!