Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Costco Decides Where To Open A New Store
Hawaii has the busiest Costco in the world on Oahu.  Of the top 10 busiest stores, 4 are in Hawaii.  They open 10-15 new stores across the US every year.  Here is how they decide when and where they should open a new store:

Galanti said that when a store hits certain annual sales numbers, that's a sign that the chain should consider expanding in that region.

"Those are huge numbers. And certainly, as we get to $350-plus — and one of them, by the way, they did over $400 million — did a few million over $600 million. And so, generally, when it starts getting — when it starts having a three in front of it, certainly at $350 million, we want to start looking to see what we can do to cannibalize it, frankly, and to have more growth in that market," he added.

Essentially, Costco's secret recipe for expansion involves building off successful stores. That's a smart plan given its warehouse and distribution network can more easily serve stores that are relatively close to each other.

https://www.thestreet.com/retail/heres-h...new-stores

I sent an email to their customer relations to find out the annual sales at the Kailua Kona store. I’ll post when I receive a reply.

UPDATE:
I received a generic, unsigned reply today, in part:
“We do not provide store level details publically. However, there is a chart in our Annual Reports that shows average store sales volumes by year, on the basis of their year of opening.”

I wrote back with more detail about my inquiry, and asked who I might contact directly.
I’ve written several messages back and forth with Costco’s Financial Planning and Investor Relations rep, here’s part of his latest reply:

“We have market research on all states and regions we operate in, and plan to potentially operate in the near future. I've passed your suggestion along to our internal team for consideration.”

I plan to send him additional numbers specific for East Hawaii over the weekend.  If any of you have pertinent information and links please post here so I can compile them in the next 2 days for my next email.

Thanks
Where do you suggest that a Costco be built in East Hawaii?
The 2008 plan was for the Home Depot - Target - Safeway area, but I’m not sure if there’s any more DHHL land in that area around Hilo.

Another suggestion I heard at that time was in Shipman Industrial.  Shipman would have built an additional connecting road to the stoplights at Hwy 11 and Hwy 130 intersection to accommodate.

I’d like to provide Costco with statistics for population growth, income increase, and the definitive lack of competition, or as they call it in the market a wide moat.
Or you could just move to the mainland with Kalakoa and have Costcos right nearby.
Or you could just move to the mainland…

4 of the top 10 Costco’s in the world are in Hawaii for one reason - - the difference in prices between them and other stores.  People in Hawaii like Costco. But if you enjoy paying higher prices for lower quality products, it would still be possible for you to shop at those other places even if a Costco opens. 
Costco is coming to Hilo side of Big Island  it is a matter of time. Who in their right mind wouldn’t want to pay less for higher quality food?
People of Hilo side are being ripped of by ……( Malama market ,Safeway ,KTA ,Food Land ,Cost u less ,Target ,Walmart) for way to long …….change is coming 
Personally  Costco will be only store ( beside Home Depot) I will spend my hard earned money.
Mr and Mrs Tang are both grateful for your one owl crusade, HOTPE, to bring a Costco to this side.  It's long overdue.  Mahalo.

As soon as you have Costco in the bag, please start working on Lowes.
Maybe you can contact the CFO directly?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-galanti-37588a44/
An East Hawaii Costco would likely render all other traffic congestion concerns in the area trivial by comparison.