Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop vog? Yeah Right?!?!?
Has anyone else been struck by just how dumb people have to be to ask such silly questions as these?

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal02.txt

As well as how bad the reporting of this was handled by our local paper. My god the trib has out done itself! This article neither says who asked the questions or where the questioning took place. Is this reporting or just the funny pages being misplaced onto the front page?

I feel way sorry for both Jim and Don to have had their names and organizations associated with this obvious bogus attempt to sell paper. And am amazed the reporter, Mitchell Byars, isn't shown the door!

I truly am ashamed by our local papers complete insanity in this matter.

My wifes take on this was.. imagine if a national news outlet were to pick this up, we'd be the laughing stock of the whole world!
"Suggestions by local residents".

As much as nobody wants to admit it, many have been complaining about the VOG and have expressed that government needs to do something about it.
is this where we all roll our eyes and say "which part of THIS IS AN ACTIVE VOLCANO didnt you understand?"..... haha

Thanks dakine for the morning chuckle!!

(Oh yes and for the record I would rather have a little big of vog than breathe LA 24/7 any day!!)

I knew that hot lava flowing in my general direction would be a risk. I got over that. I also knew that vog was a problem, which is one reason I did not choose the west side. What I didn't anticipate is that the volume of vog would increase so dramatically. This is really unprecedented, as HVO points out. We expected to be deep fried. We did not expect to suffocated. In Puna, we have it pretty good so far.I feel for those in Kau though. That was one of my favorite places on the island. I love Pahala and Na'alehu. But when I drove through last week, they were completely smoked out.

It is ironic that Kona is having these problems because I'm sure most expected to be pretty safe from Kilauea over there. Now we know you may be just far enough from Pele to avoid her fiery embrace, but she can still blow smoke in your face.

I still find her fascinating. Where there's smoke, there's fire.
One of Warren Miller's latest blogs:

....Is this unprecedented cold weather a function of the scales finally being tipped into the cold arena by this huge biomass of plastic garbage floating out there 1,000 miles west of California?

A lot of suggestions have been floated, such as scooping it up in fish nets, hauling it to the Hawaiian Islands and dumping it where the Lava from Mauna Kea enters the ocean and turning it into energy....

-------
It is the way... the way it is.
my what a lovely suggestion ...
please oh powers that be, incinerate acres of plastic off our coast because simple vog is not toxic enough. Also put the melted toxins into our coastal waters. So much creative thinking out there! [V]

Lucky it will never happen.

yeah, that vog story was silly -- but the expert responses were sensible.

What part of, if you COULD plug up the active vent, Pele has a whole rift zone ripe for opening a new outlet, is mysterious to the people asking for solutions? Sure, let's cap off the vents and watch Pele explode from Pahoa, or maybe Kapoho again. I'm sure THAT would be a vog free event.