Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar Eclipse
Hopefully, it will be clear - but we will also be lucky to see a partial eclipse of the sun - starting at 6:28AM - maximum at 7:11AM and ending at 7:57AM.

April 8, 2024 Partial Solar Eclipse in Hilo, Hawaii, USA (timeanddate.com)

And for me, whenever there is an eclipse, visible or not, partial or total, solar or lunar, the only music you can play is Pink Floyd!

“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Gonna party like it’s 1991.
More like 1971! I once saw an eclipse with 75% of the sun obscured. Had I not known it was happening I wouldnʻt even have noticed it. It looked like a cloudy day. And then thereʻs those pesky clouds around here... Iʻm sleeping in.
(04-08-2024, 04:54 AM)kalianna Wrote: More like 1971!  I once saw an eclipse with 75% of the sun obscured.  Had I not known it was happening I wouldnʻt even have noticed it.  It looked like a cloudy day.  And then thereʻs those pesky clouds around here...  Iʻm sleeping in.

I've experienced one total eclipse and a couple of partials.  The partials are easy to miss.  They are sorta of neat if you can actually see the eclipse but usually the clouds don't cooperate.  I saw one that happened right before sunset, I drove to the west coast to get the full view and miraculously the event was unobscured, and the huge orange setting sun had a huge bite taken out of it, but if it was cloudy I'm not sure I would have noticed a difference.

The total eclipse was super cool.  Plus I was a kid and a space nerd.  Unfortunately the clouds made viewing the actual eclipse only possible on TV and oddly enough that's what most people did- they stayed indoors and watched the eclipse on television.  I think it was broadcast on 3 of the 5 channels.  I went outside to enjoy it.  The sun was mostly obscured by the clouds but I could see the bright disk getting overtaken until it disappeared. The street lights turned on, the crickets started chirping, for all intents and purposes it was just like night time, and before that could get boring, it was over.
Forest late night jolt, every single living thing goes quiet for a second or two ..so funny.

Prediction for the eclipse:

https://rumble.com/v4o4wph-maga.html
"Iʻm sleeping in."

You can be the "E" in the Google Doodle!

Google

(Link only good through tomorrow!)
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
1991 was a total eclipse across Big Island & south Maui. We slept overnight at Makena Beach, got up before sunrise, walked King’s Trail through La Perouse to the southern most point of east Maui.  
Cloud cover broke just as the sun neared totality.
I met a bunch of eclipse watches in a LAX hotel bar on my back from my trip on Friday, some had seen up to six or seven total eclipses around the world. and were on their way to see the next one. I've never witnessed a total solar eclipse but saw a ~90% eclipse in South Africa back in the 90s and it went dark enough that the wildlife just stopped making a noise, the feeling was quite surreal. And just remember there are at least two solar eclipses a year, so whoever thinks they portray something happening tends to be a fruitcake.
HOTPE, that sounds amazing.
Seen a total eclipse in 2017 in South Carolina. It's just like everyone says, a once in a lifetime experience, not to be missed.

Partial eclipses, anything less than totality, pale in comparison.