Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good mexican restaurant Honolulu
Could someone recommend a good mex rest in Honolulu?
Compadres is really overrated.

I used to eat at a small "hole in the wall" place called "Diego's Tacos" on King St. across from Star Market near University Ave.

Great Prices and even better food.

The owner is from San Diego... Thus the name "Diegos" I believe.

-------
Rally For the Plan
It's not Mex by any stretch, but I highly recommend Tiki's. Maybe it's my "luck of the Irish", but everything I've eaten on their menu was outstanding, and their service has always been very good. Haven't been there in almost a year though...
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
"Cholos" in Haleiwa shopping center, north shore Oahu
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

"Cholos" in Haleiwa shopping center, north shore Oahu

Agreed, Cholos is the best Mexican restaurant on Oahu. You might have trouble getting a table there though, it always has been a busy restaurant but it's even busier now after beind featured in the Hawaii Business Magazine.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

la bamba @ 847 kapahulu avenue

malia paha o lohe aku

perhaps they will hear
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Is El Burrito still next to Ala Moana Shopping Center on the Ewa mauka side? It was a very small hole in the wall, but great Mexican food.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
quote:
Originally posted by kani-lehua

la bamba @ 847 kapahulu avenue

malia paha o lohe aku

perhaps they will hear

I also cast my vote for LaBamba too!

"When someone asks you, A penny for your thoughts, and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?"

George Carlin

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Cholos ROCKS! But it is really crowded and busy, busy. Once we sat at a table 15 minutes without being acknowledged because the server was over worked. We were cool about it because we could see he was busting his booty working (just not on our table). Once he realized his faux pas he treated us great by bringing little extras etc.

We used to go to Ciscos in Kailua. It is isn't too busy during the day and the portions are HUGE! No way can you clean your plate.

I have been to Compadres twice. If you like On the Border, RIo Bravo, Chevys or any of the other Mexican chains then you will like Compadres. The food isn't terribly offensive it is just "chain-like".

We once had some horrible Mexican food in Waikiki. I think it was called La Cuckaracha or something similar. It was aimed to the bar & tourist crowd. Sucked & very over priced. Inedible.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
I always look to http://www.chowhound.com/boards/25 when I'm looking for restaurant advice. A search for Mexican Honolulu will find:

quote:
The best mexican food downtown, perhaps on island is "Just Tacos" on Bishop street (1111 Bishop St). Its basically tacos served in authentic style: meat on soft corn tortillas with onions and cilantro. Taqueria de Ramiro on Fort St has good burritos, but not earth-shattering.
and
quote:
Also on Hotel is Maria Bonita's, the only decent Mexican downtown.
and
quote:
For mexican, Cholos is pretty good, but I prefer Azteca in Kaimuki. Nice family run place, Mom, Dad, and Son. My fav. there is the enchilada suiza. There is also a place not far from the airport on Sand Island Access Road for Mexican, sign says "San Antonio Style".

Mmm... how I could go for a talapia taco with cilantro from El Cid in Chicago right now.