Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane coverage
Did you watch any of the hurricane coverage? Almost every news channel I turned to had a reporter in the middle of the hurricane. Some were holding on to a pole or tied to one. One of the reporters actually had two ropes tied to her. They were making comments like debris is flying by or if I weren’t tied to this pole I would be in the ocean.
What has news coverage come to? The police should take these idiots away and lock them up until the storm passes!

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
It's sensationalized weather forcasting. It's for ratings mostly.
looks like they did it again, they bused all the poor up the road to a shelter and now they have no food, toilets overflowing, some said the stench was so bad in the shelter that they were going to sleep in the streets, and the busses that brought them left............heck of a job brownie!
Seems to me most cities and counties civil defense is very poorly developed. I would like to believe there here in Hawaii county, we would do better. Then again, we all know that the Punatics would be taking care of one another anyway...
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
One of the late night talk shows had a medaly of different reporters hanging on to stuff and getting blown down the street etc.. It was hilarious. I guess the police leave them alone because.. well I really don't know why they're above the law. But I told my wife I'm waiting for one of them to get totally blown away like in the Wizard of Oz.. and of course his stations ratings will go through the roof.. LOL.. This is Bob from KSUC reporting from in the vortex of the storm..

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you. Neil Young

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

loffelkopffl,
Where was this that there was the problem with the evacuees?
Living about +/- 50 miles from the path of the eye of Gustav and on the bad side, I have not heard anything about that. Our parish (county) had 99%+ loss of power and most of the parishes to the south and west were worse. This was the worst weather event to EVER hit us. 91 mph max winds (Betsy was the all time record at 92 mph). Thanks to Katrina/Rita everyone was much better prepared this time, although FEMA still did not do a stellar job - They prepositioned supplies over in Texas and took about 2 days or more to get a lot of stuff here. As of today, about 30% of East Baton Rouge parish has power. Our subdivision has a lot of trees and the power lines are in the backyards where there is no bucket truck access, so we will still be without power for 1-2 WEEKS more, if we are lucky. If you look down the power line in our backyard in both directions, every pole has a damaged crossbar that actually holds the wires or there is a tree branch down on the lines. My son was offered the use of a generator yesterday by the chemical plant where he works, so we had some power last night. WHAT A RELIEF! We have never been out of power this long so I never worried about a generator. Some people will be without power for another month.
To get back to the topic - MEDIA PEOPLE: New Orleans is not the only city in Louisiana. A lot of people here are unhappy because all they hear about on the national media is New Orleans. They evacuated but I do not think the damage to their infrastructure was nearly as bad. Of course all I have had access to has been the local radio stations.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Yes,the irony is that Baton Rouge got hit with a big red stick named Gustav --worse than the damage in New Orleans and more power outages. Sorry you have been uncomfortble, Allen and hope poor bankrupt Entergy Louisiana (which was not bailed out by anyone) gets to you quickly.

The media was just outrageous this time -- scaring the hell out of everyone. I thought about that when I was in a little store in the quarter (Rouse's) when all of the sudden Nagin walked in. The man was cool as a cucumber. I think he had been reading the track reports a little more closely than the rest of us. It was going West, and he knew that.

One good thing about Gustav: It really took my mind off of Pele! Gustav was more frightening than the TEB breakout, in my mind.
Hey Allen,

Our hearts and prayers are with y'all probably more so than New Orleans. Gustov danced all over Baton Rouge for a couple of days. It honestly reminded me of the Iniki on Kaua'i. Many people in central TX were wondering (still are) why FEMA chose to stage much of their supplies in Austin as opposed to Lufkin or even Dallas. It would be good if Entergy could some day bury their lines under ground. Hang in there..

Blessings,
dave

Blessings,
dave

Allen,
I wish you the best. I've been there. It's no fun with no power, especially with the heat and humidity that usually follows a hurricane. I had my generater and chain saws along with 5, six gallon cans of gas ready for Ike. Looks like I won't need it this time. Hurricanes are starting to get old though. I've been through too many.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.