Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird sales price for real estate Q
Is Zillow all that accurate for HI real estate SOLD pricing? I'm looking at what shows a house that sold for $666 at 31 Makalani St, Hilo. There are several others that are at $1000 or less that sold THIS YEAR. If it's true, I need ot get in on some of those deals! [}Smile] Even if the houses are tear-downs, that land has got to be worth more than the sold prices.
Here's the link for my example above: /www.zillow.com/homedetails/31-Makalani-St/551215_zpid
Anyone that can clue me in on this?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
From the Public Record data:

SALES

2/6/1997 TRANSD-M $0 DOC 97-017392
LOT 1-B = 15300 SF

TANAKA,HAYATO, Trustee

*TRUSTEE OF THE HAYATO TANAKA REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST
*DATED NOVEMBER 22, 1996, WITH FULL POWERS

4/18/2008 DEED $10 DOC 08-061280 BOC

TANAKA, VICTOR RODNEY, Single Person or Individual

TANAKA, SCOTT IKAIKA, Single Person or Individual

TANAKA, JACOB RODNEY, Single Person or Individual

This was not a public sale--Zillow isn't the greatest resource for reasons just like this!

Cynthia

Cynthia Hoskins, R(S)
Cell: 808 443-6564

Clark Realty Corporation
99 Aupuni St Hilo, HI
Office: 808 961-6015
Cynthia Hoskins, R(S)
Clark Realty Corporation
www.clarkhawaii.com
Well that makes sense (property transfer and not an actual "sale?), but there sure are a LOT of them. and where did the $666 come from?

Thanks for the reply, Clark Realty is who I went through to part with my money errr, buy my land - great website.
Zillow is aiming to be a nationwide MLS site. It was founded my several mega-buck executives, like Pual Allen. It is not getting the listing or sales data from the regional MLS, it is getting data from a handful of real estate agents who put their listings there. I assume the numbers you are getting were generated by a faulty software.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

If you look at www.hawaiipropertytax.com, and select SALES, it's common to see transfers for $1000 or other small numbers ... I usually assume these are between family or spouses. Especially when the property is a living trust.
$666 might indicate a sense of humor -- or maybe a divorce. [}Smile]

I would not use Zillow for browsing.

Tools for non-agents:
The Hawaii Real Estate weekly site gives list price and closings:

http://www.hawaiirealestateweekly.com/closings.php
Hilo Brokers
www.hilobrokers.com
has for each active listing a link to the TMK's Sale's, which is to the public tax site I mentioned above.
It's a nice site for searching, because it separates Keaau region from Pahoa, which the public MLS www.hawaiiinformationservice.com does not allow as a search parameter, plus quite a few other ways to refine a search that the MLS doesn't.

I know there are other good sites out there too.
Zillow is pretty poor in comparison.
Zillow - it's like Google Earth -to get a general idea.If you are buying ,the great real estate agent has information you can not find elsewhere,especially what recently has been sold.
StillHope, you can see everything recently sold on island, separated by district and categories of residential, condo, and raw land, on the website I linked. It shows one week at a time, but you can move back in time. It's perhaps not as great as having an agent sort it out for you, but -- you can get info without bugging your agent constantly.

Here's something weird I saw today, a home had been for sale for 874 days, 2 1/2 years. It was listed at $1,250,000.00, and it sold for 25,000 over asking.

The only way I can see that happening is if they did a price reduction and then had multiple offers.

Something I've not found for the general public is the ability to see the pricing history of the listing and whether it was in more than one escrow. Well, can't have it all.

You all are right Zillow s.... but I thought it would show some sales figures which I couldn't get from the usual sources. Looking at KathyH's links, it looks like the situation is not as desperate as some are claiming.
Oh, we have already purchased our land but I like to keep up where things are going.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Something I've not found for the general public is the ability to see the pricing history of the listing and whether it was in more than one escrow.

That's why you should have a trusted real estate professional working for you! [Smile]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

John, I always would advise working with a good agent.

However, there are times that people are watching the market but not actively pursuing a purchase or a sale, and if there are agents who enjoy making constant market reports to "clients" who are not actively clients, I haven't met one yet!

For those watching but not engaging times, it's nice to have resources.