Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it take to have sanitary conditions
on the Black Sand beach?
I started a new thread because didn't want it to get drowned in the discussion about naked liberalism[Smile].

Anyway,I am serious.What does it take to have a full functioning restrooms?
Yes,I know,money..
But there are authorities and paperwork..
Was it ever a serious attempt to do something about it?
I am not talking about portable toilets.Though better then nothing,they very soon get disgusting .

If I were a wealthy person,I would just ask who to right a check.
As an ordinary person,I would rather pay to use the beach if it helps.

Both Kaimu & Kehena Black Sand Beaches & Champagne ponds are on state lands but are not on their current lists of park/public lands for developement....
So the first thing is to get the state to agree to look into this.... but it is not that easy

All of these sites are within the Coastal Zone Management... and all of them would need an EA & most likely EIS to get done....Note: the restrooms at Issac Hale/Poihiki are across the street from the old facilities, many reasons for that, esp. looking at the fact that the old rest facilities could/would be in inundation zones....

Having taken classes where we were working on Master Plans for state lands that are currently transistioning into park/public lands.... it will take a very dedicated public that is willing to spend a lot of time lobbying, and it will also take a lot more money & time that most would anticipate.... due to the CZM issues & the fact that these locations have not been identified by the state as current park locations... and are on their radar as in the vary way far distant for park status...
So... if a group of very dedicated volunteers wants to work on this, contact the state...
Thank you,Carey!
How big should be the group and who to contact in particular?
Additionally, the State and County are not immune from regulations. Everything they do will be subjected to the laws, ordinances and codes. So although it may seem like a simple thing of building restrooms, as Carey stated, a long, arduous and expensive EIS will probably be required. There is nothing that can be done about this especially since anyone can challenge the project, grinding it to an almost certain halt and adding cost.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

There is nothing that can be done about this ..

This is the answer?
I think some government body could provide portible toilets and a fresh water trailer temporarily while the legal aspects and environental impacts are being ironed out. It doesn't take a genius to see that the impact now is 200 screaming, drumming partiers having no place to dookie between Pohoiki and Kalapana. It's shameful and disgusting.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

I think some government body could...

Key word... Government...

I believe many people that flock this beach would rather leave the government out of things[Big Grin]

I personally have heard of people swimming out in the ocean to make there doo doo. I heard that same person say... where the hell do the fish take a doo doo at? I was pretty disgusted.

I won't go to Kehena simply because it's not my atmosphere, however, I think it's a gorgeous beach and people should have the choices to do what the eff they want w/out government coming in and saying this and that.

Toilets were non-existent many years ago and Hawaiians didn't get sick because of lack of sanitation at beaches.

I'm not gonna blame "Haole" folks as myself for lack of sanitation in Hawaii... however, there is some thing to look at in the fact that Islanders for many years took craps all over this aina and nothing was made of it.

If the people using kehena took their dumps in the bushes it wouldn't bother me so much if they freaking could dig a hole first and then cover things up.

Crap is a great thing for soil... it's when people don't freaking crap properly that it creates a problem.

-------
Glob
I don't remember where I read this but I recall reading that one of the gripes ancient Hawaiians had with the first European sailors that showed up was that they didn't bury their poop. Hawaiians had many kapus governing all aspects of their lives and this was one of them. Hawaiians feared to break these kapus and with good reason, since to do so might get you your head split. Hawaiian or not, most of us are used to today's permissive society and would not be happy if we suddenly found ourselves in ancient Hawaiian society. However, it worked for them, something that can't always be said for our own society.
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

There is nothing that can be done about this ..

This is the answer?

Sorry, brain got ahead of the fingers.
I meant that there is nothing that government or the people can do anymore to expedite the process or make modifications to meet the immediate needs. Government's ability to work around the bureaucratically obstacles was taken away from them by the judicial branch, so government is forced to go through all the same steps just as if they were a developer wanting to build a hotel and not just a restroom, even when it's in the best interest of the people and environment. [V]
quote:
Originally posted by Carey...Coastal Zone Management... and all of them would need an EA & most likely EIS to get done....it will also take a lot more money & time that most would anticipate....

MONEY Money MONEY MOney MONEY...

Sorry for off key singing.....

EA & EIS are NOT CHEAP