Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
maui news blog
Thought this might be of interest to some of you. I think the Maui News reaction is quite reasonable and should be expected when people take such stupid advantage of their "free speech."

Dear Readers,
POSTED: September 23, 2008
Due to flagrant abuse of the privilege - including continual name-calling, crude language, profanity, slander, threats and racism - The Maui News will no longer allow comments to be posted on its Web site.

Readers are instead encouraged to submit letters to the editor for possible publication in the newspaper and posting online.

Letters may be submitted via the Virtual Newsroom on The Maui News Web site (www.mauinews.com); via e-mail (letters@mauinews.com); or by mail (Letters, The Maui News, 100 Mahalani St., Wailuku 96793). Letters must include the writer's name, address and a telephone number where the writer can be reached. Call 242-6347 with questions.

We apologize to the many readers who kept their posted comments civil and on the subject; however the volume, frequency and vileness of the abusers' postings have grown beyond the newspaper's capacity to remove them in a timely manner.

Joe Bradley

Publisher
I'm only supprised this reaction isn't more common.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I think that Punaweb's best defense has been not allowing national or world politics to intrude. I intend to maintain that position.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
actually, this just shows they don't know how to run a web site.

If you have standards you want to maintain, you have to filter the comments. Hire someone to read them before they are made public.

On a BBS's like PunaWeb, you can do this also, but Most BBS's that play that way just become an echo chamber for that the sysop wants to hear and the whole thing dies over time.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii