Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H-130 Beautification Planning???
Ok so we know were not gonna get an alternative route for H-130 with the current project I'm working on.

One thing the State asked us... is what would we like as far as "Scenic, Historic, etc..." Views along Highway 130.

How we would like to Glamorize it while improving it with safety features.

What would people like to "SEE" along H-130? One comment that was made... was they want to make sure Mauna Kea remains visible on the Drive. Another comment was about a Church on the Drive.

What would you like to "SEE" on Highway 130?

Input is really needed.

What I'd like to see and what will happen... might improve my frustrations along the drive.

So what kind of "Scenery"? Trees in the middle of the road with two separated Highways? Would you like to see a Raised Highway at some point to see the ocean along the Drive? ETC.

What would you like to See Along H-130.

If 25 of us get to play with $56 million... then I'd like to try and please more then just the 25 of us.

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll
Bury all the power lines.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rough Estimate of Cost to bury 11 miles worth of Utility/Power lines in your mind?

Couldn't the State/County somehow pass a law requiring this of the utility companies...thus taking the burden off of tax payers... (but then again the utility companies would just jack up the cost of our utilities to cover...)

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll
i believe when it was suggested to bury the lines on the west side of o'ahu several months ago, it was something outrageous like 1 million a mile?

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Lose the overhead electrical conductors and bury new conductors for expanded electrical distribution capacity. Have Helco pitch in too. Why not add water mains using some county $$ too?

Think FUTURE !

Dan

Trench the center bury the powerlines, plant palms in the center divide.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://lh4.ggpht.com/_d58TXFFuGK0/RjPosUMLqWI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/UopbOTsY2sQ/07SF005.JPG&imgrefurl=http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PQIPp5sG-KRwB3MLDrkm8A&h=1200&w=1600&sz=23&hl=en&start=5&um=1&usg=__oEOBfiUDX-YtMcm4M-t0tHKzWIA=&tbnid=3LMH4rINWZIx3M:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dembarcadero%2Bsan%2Bfrancisco%2Bpalms%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_en___US257%26sa%3DN

mella l

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I think Pahoa shopping center gets it right...black sand with palm trees, lava rock, other plants, trees....what is better to look at then that and what is more natural here in Puna..and the views of maunakea, glimpses of the ocean, perhaps some lava rock walls with murals depicting hawaiian culture, history...( and since I am a muralist, I will HAVE to come back and help with that..) and this could all take place in a center divide.
And, listen, John pounds on the lava and it would be unbelievable to put all the lines underground. Let the beauty be in the center and the lines up high on the sides...the center would be the focal point!
mella, i tried the link and it didn't work for me?

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

mella,
Please, palm trees ok, bury power lines ok, but not one over the other in the center. Let's keep maintainance in mind please.

Aloha, Dan
Damon,

This is a great post and I would love to try and give you some constructive input, but I know better.

You wrote:

“If 25 of us get to play with $56 million... then I'd like to try and please more then just the 25 of us.”

How much of that $56 mil. do you think they will let you play with? I can assure that the answer to that one is none. DOT has already “allocated” monies for many different aspects of this project. Example, landscaping X numbers of dollars and not a dollar more. But lets let the committee pick the kind of trees and some plants they would like, to pacify them as long as it don’t rock the boat. Remember they are only asking the community because they mandated to do so.

If you come up with a brilliant idea and they haven’t thought of it first you can just forget it. We have attempted to “discuss roundabouts” with them, and they have pretty much told us to f- - - off, “we” don’t like them. I see more great ideas that people are coming up with, like bury the utilities in the center of a divided highway that will improve the infrastructure not only now but for the future. You present that to them and it will be taken under advisement until time stands still.

Here is one from me that will never fly. How about finding a place that will accommodate a center rest station with “facilities” that can be accessed from both directions. Maybe some picnic tables and a few BBQ’s, toss in a couple of vending machines for soda, water, and some snacks, lease the area out to some vender to stock and maintain.
Forget it, that will never fly, it may cost extra money to build.

Forgive me Damon, I don’t want to be so negative but I have some experience in the field. I will pull for this 25 person committee because I know that you all are trying to do the best for Puna. I just have too many spoiled aspirations dealing with people that are there to just pacify the people and collect their paychecks. That is why they hire consultants to deal with your committee, because they don’t want to be bothered, these people are already “cut and dried.”

The Lack